Active Now

Element 99
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Have you ever had someone come up to you and call you by name, but you didn't recognize them?

Have you ever had someone come up to you and call you by name, but you didn't recognize them?

I have had that happen a few times. In most cases it was a little first or second grader that rode the school bus with me while I was in high school. They recognized me , but I didn't recognize because they were grown up. Have you ever had that happen?

Posted - March 5, 2017

Responses

yes a few times
    so embarrassing that i
    didn't remember them.
      March 5, 2017 8:35 AM MST

Another instance for me was one of my classmates coming up to me with his head shaven and no longer wearing glasses and expected me to recognize him. I could have clobbered him. We both laughed about it. Lol.
      March 5, 2017 8:40 AM MST

Just tell them you're having a senior moment.
      March 5, 2017 8:41 AM MST

Yes.  Sadly, it wasn't anywhere near what you are describing happened to you bigd.  If I haven't seen someone I am acquainted with in a long time (not talking about a good friend) or, someone I might have met a week before for a brief moment, I usually don't recognize them.  If they jog my memory and I remember meeting them, I usually still don't remember their name.  Very embarrassing.  One woman I have done that to on more than a couple of occasions AND, if I saw her today, I would still be at a loss.  I think it might be a purposeful yet unconscious block on my part. 

This post was edited by Harry at March 5, 2017 9:30 AM MST
      March 5, 2017 8:52 AM MST

Yes. 

It happens a lot to people who have done any amount of public speaking/appearance.

March 5, 2017 9:22 AM MST

I've had that happen one time in my life.
      March 5, 2017 9:30 AM MST

Yes, I seem to have a real problem remembering the names of people I meet now. I'd probably remember the name of a little kid who rode the school bus with me 30 years ago, but if I met someone today, their name would probably be lost to me tomorrow! I think I need to work on being more present in the moment, maybe?
      March 5, 2017 9:31 AM MST

I think you bring up a good point.  I've recently been working on being more present in the moment.  I have found myself driving and suddenly realize I have been lost in my thoughts for a good 5 minutes and don't remember passing anything.  Those are the moments that almost guarantee an accident IMO.  Staying focused was always a strong point for me and now I seem to be lost in a quagmire of brain fart randomness. This post was edited by Harry at March 5, 2017 9:50 AM MST
      March 5, 2017 9:37 AM MST

I think about the same thing, Harry. I completely miss my turn or exit and then think about how I obviously wasn't paying enough attention! I suppose getting lost in our thoughts is almost as dangerous as texting and driving!
      March 5, 2017 9:46 AM MST

I try to pull that stunt with my lady sometimes when I have a feeling she's going to ask for money.
      March 5, 2017 9:38 AM MST

not that i remember but ive called people by name and they didnt remember me
      March 8, 2017 1:55 PM MST