Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Are we ever completely safe?

Are we ever completely safe?

When home invasions make even our homes insecure, can we expect to be safe anywhere? How do you feel about the possibility, however slight, that we may not be safe? 

Posted - March 12, 2017

Responses

Nothing is guaranteed in life.  Unless you shut yourself off completely in a way that no one has any way of accessing you, life's a crap shoot.  I can't, & won't, live my life being afraid of what may or may not happen.  I will say though, that as I have gotten older and see stories about elderly people being targeted, I'm more aware of it than I used to be.  
      March 12, 2017 6:02 AM MDT

• Yeah, that happens far too often. Still, what are we gonna do? As you said, shutting yourself off is far too negative.
      March 12, 2017 2:45 PM MDT

• I used to leave the windows open at night during Summer when I had Hunter as he would have barked like crazy if anyone was around but I guess I can't do that now. But, I'm well armed and sleep very lightly and can protect myself quite well but it still doesn't mean something like that couldn't happen. No, we are never completely safe. We may think so but it's not true. If someone wants something of yours bad enough? They'll chance getting shot or their neck broke to get it. 99% of the time it's for drugs.
      March 12, 2017 7:33 AM MDT

• Hunter was a lot more effective than my little Zoe. If somebody broke in here she'd run to them for a pet. Lovely do, but she ain't no guard dog. 
      March 12, 2017 2:47 PM MDT

• Not Hunter! I would have dared someone to climb in the window! Very protective and he was a big boy!
      March 12, 2017 2:50 PM MDT

• Complete safety is a target, like perfection, but likely also unattainable. For example:
    While you might feel secure in your bed, two steps from your gun rack, is someone stealing your identity on the internet? Will lightning hit your home and set it ablaze while you sleep? Might a stray bullet from a distant hunter or crime scene shootout penetrate your wall? A gas leak? A sinkhole? A crashing aircraft?
    It's enough to send an overthinker into paranoid paralysis.  
    I think its well enough to consider one's relative safety in the moment and seek to maintain it. 
      March 12, 2017 8:03 AM MDT

• Dang Zee, you've made me sorry I asked this question. I'm gonna go back to bed and pull the blankets over my head and try to FEEL safe. :(
      March 12, 2017 2:48 PM MDT

There's a fine line between appropriate caution and letting fear control your life.
      March 12, 2017 9:27 AM MDT

• Dead right, Savvy. And yet I've met people who ARE that afraid. Not many, but they seem to need that fear.
      March 12, 2017 2:48 PM MDT

I have, too. I think that people can become addicted to their fears/anxieties. It's quite sad.
      March 16, 2017 6:46 PM MDT

Well were in good moral so between the wife and I - our good neighbors and our hounds we could stop an invading platoon of Russians and send them back to the Kremlin with their tails between their legs. Cheers!
      March 12, 2017 10:05 AM MDT

• Love it! :D
      March 12, 2017 2:49 PM MDT

No Didge. We all have targets on our backs. Every single one of us.
      March 12, 2017 10:06 AM MDT

• My foil hat helps to keep the CIA out of my head but I can't do a single them about those hit squads. :(

No one is ever completely safe. Even if you remove humans from the equation weather, animals, insects are all possible threats. Not to mention my cooking. 
      March 12, 2017 1:54 PM MDT

• If your cooking has helped you reach such a venerable age I think I'd chance it, Ancient. :)

So kind, thank you Didge.
      March 13, 2017 8:47 AM MDT

Nope, there a crazies everywhere.   This post was edited by Sunshine at March 13, 2017 12:12 PM MDT
      March 12, 2017 4:51 PM MDT

i dont think so
      March 12, 2017 5:43 PM MDT

No. Not when one cell in your body can turn into cancer at any moment.
      March 16, 2017 6:49 PM MDT