Active Now

Spunky
Malizz
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Right wingers want Americans to be able to PICK the healthcare plan they want. But.. What if they choose the WRONG plan?

Right wingers want Americans to be able to PICK the healthcare plan they want. But.. What if they choose the WRONG plan?

Hello:

Are we gonna let 'em DIE IN THE STREET??

excon

Posted - March 12, 2017

Responses

• In short, yes. It's not the government's job to know what's right for each of us or to provide for us. My wife and I have a low end plan with high deductibles that pays for prescriptions and has a copay. Who's to say or decide that that plan is wrong for us. For someone with more health problems than us, it's a terrible plan because of the high deductible. Another person who is in great health and doesn't have alot of money say it's a terrible plan because it covers things they don't need (it's not a catastrophic plan). If we make a mistake along the way or if something changes in our health, it's up to us to fix it. Not the government, not another taxpayer or citizen, but us!

Sure, we can create exceptions to the rules for certain people, but in general, the choice needs to be left to the people, not the government.
      March 12, 2017 9:57 AM MDT

Hello C:

I appreciate your candor.. 

Who's to say or decide that that plan is wrong for you?  If you come down with cancer tomorrow, I'll bet YOU'D be the one to say you bought the wrong plan..  It's that, or die stoically knowing you made your choices, and you're gonna live/die by them.. 

Your answer raises another question, though.  If the above was your situation, but there was a LIFE SAVING therapy that would SAVE your life, but would BANKRUPT your family.  What would you do?

excon
      March 12, 2017 10:29 AM MDT

• I think my worry would be that what happens to those who don't have the luxury of being able to choose.. as in people who are in poor health, those who are poor, their options are way more limited.. For you you seem like you can change your plan and afford to do so should you need to.. what about those who need to change plan or have a plan that covers things but cannot afford it?
      March 12, 2017 11:19 AM MDT

• I'm surprised at all the heartless B*stards who actually say, "too bad"

Healthcare must be single-payer, medicare for all...no part D crap.

The biggest lies perpetrated:
    Government in charge of your healthcare
    People flood the US for their healthcare (FALSE)
    Quality of healthcare will decrease
    Market based healthcare works (If U disagree, please provide an example of a successful Market-based healthcare plan outside the US)
      March 12, 2017 10:03 AM MDT

Why shouldn't I have the choice?  I wouldn't want basic Medicare only covers 80% with no max of of pocket. I would prefer to have Medicare Advantage. Which is a public/private partenship insurance for elderly/disabled people. 
    I would have no problem allowing letting purchase this insurance from the gov if they choose. Again the key is choose. I should have the choice. To buy into Medicare or another private insurance policy.

The gov does interfere with the Dr/patient control. They refuse to pay. I have seen it happen. 

This post was edited by my2cents at March 12, 2017 7:18 PM MDT
      March 12, 2017 10:16 AM MDT

• Then you remove the 80% and remove the Part D

If you want to purchase private insurance, fine...But it would be to cover extras like cosmetic surgery.

The choice idea is a red herring.  You would still have a choice in who you seek your medical care from. 
      March 12, 2017 10:21 AM MDT

They will never pass 100% coverage for Medicare. And what would be the premium would it double, triple?
    Coverage is at 80%. You can purchase gap insurance. 
    Choice of the providers who except Medicare...Not all do. 
      March 12, 2017 10:29 AM MDT

• No...If that is all there is, the healthcare providers will have to accept it. 

Insurance companies should not be involved in providing healthcare or determining coverage. A licensed DR should be doing that, not a Politician or a bean counter. The Healthcare industry, Insurance companies & Pharma make sure that the politicians work for them   not US through intensive lobbying and pumping big money into politics.

Step #1: Pass law forbidding the healthcare industrial complex from lobbying  
      March 12, 2017 10:36 AM MDT

Whoever is paying the bill ....Is in charge. Whether it is the insurance company, the government or private pay.  If we have choices we can fire that payer if we feel we are not getting coverage we want for the money paod. Reg Medicare is a gov program and they decide coverage not the Dr/patient​.

I don't believe we should silence and person/group legally in the country from lobbying the government. It is part of our Constitution. 
      March 12, 2017 11:07 AM MDT

Hello my:

If you choose insurance that does NOT save your life, it's the WRONG insurance.  If that's a plan you bought, EVEN if you don't expect me to rescue you from your bad choice, as a liberal human being, I would anyway.. 

excon
      March 12, 2017 10:37 AM MDT

• People are not going to die in the street.  There's the Samaritan Act that hospitals must provide emergency care regardless of insurance.  In Texas there is one hospital in each county that will provide care to people without insurance.  The one in the nearest big city to me has a huge number of illegal immigrants and people who don't even have the money for clothes for their new baby.  I've taken baby clothes and blankets there and was told that the hospital tries to send each baby home with at least one outfit.  Each hospital will only take people from their country and have prosecuted people who try to pick the hospital they think will give them the best care and have actually lied about where they live.  However, you can get health care if you have no insurance. I'm not sure if this applies to every state but the Samaritan Act does..
      March 12, 2017 11:07 AM MDT

Hello Y:

If you have stage 3 cancer, you're NOT gonna get your chemo at the ER?? You're gonna DIE in the street..

excon
      March 12, 2017 11:14 AM MDT

• That is a load of baloney and a false talking point.

We are NOT talking about illegal immigrants either so that is not the issue.  People should not have to rely on charity or beg for proper medical care.

What about preventive healthcare? Checkups? Where exactly is this money coming from? What kind of care and service can one expect as opposed to a paying customer?  NO...Socialized, Single-Payer healthcare is the only option.
      March 12, 2017 3:03 PM MDT

No it is not baloney or false.
    There are free clinics in the big cities. My town is small and we have a free clinic. There are county health centers as well that will also provide healthcare for free as well. 
      March 12, 2017 3:28 PM MDT

Any health insurance plan even a basic one will be a catastrophic plan would cover life saving treatments. 
    What type of plan could I mistakenly take that would not cover life saving treatments?
      March 12, 2017 11:14 AM MDT

Hello again, my:

ALL of 'em???  You mean even CHEAP health insurance will cover EVERYTHING necessary to save your life???  I don't think so, my friend..  Before Obamacare, insurance companies CAPPED what they would spend.  I'm sure, under Trumpcare, they'll be able to do that again.

That means, if you have a cheap plan, you'll DIE IN THE STREET.

excon This post was edited by excon at March 12, 2017 3:21 PM MDT
      March 12, 2017 11:25 AM MDT

No, under a cheap catastrophic plan....the only time you meet the deductible will be if you need that lifesaving chemo.  Also from what I have read they are keeping the ban on lifetime limits.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2017/03/06/where-things-stand-obamacare/98689336/ This post was edited by my2cents at March 12, 2017 11:53 AM MDT
      March 12, 2017 11:36 AM MDT

• This is way off point.  If Medicare for all is funded through a calculated tax that every single American tax payer...ALL OF THEM ...contribute to, every single American can experience the right to proper healthcare which they are entitled to
      March 12, 2017 3:00 PM MDT

Do you know people on Medicare pay a monthly premium for it?
      March 12, 2017 3:05 PM MDT

I don't want some bureaucrat forcing me to buy what they want me to buy.  I don't want to have more of my paycheck going to the government than it already takes. Look at the VA as an example of what we'll see for everyone else.

There's an amazing concept called 'Personal Responsibility'.  I'm willing to face the consequences of poor decisions.  Are you? This post was edited by BR_8093 at March 12, 2017 7:19 PM MDT
      March 12, 2017 2:52 PM MDT

• You won't have to pay for anything but your taxes.

Let me ask you a question. WHo do you think picks up the tab for people who have no health insurance when they get sick???
    US!!! It's passed on through costs services and pharmaceuticals

March 12, 2017 2:57 PM MDT

And that's WHY I don't want single payer.  Because that means the government takes more & more of my money instead of letting me make my own decisions about how it's spent, good or bad.

How much less would health insurance cost if we looked at it the same way we look at car or home insurance.  We use those for catastrophic losses.  Car insurance doesn't pay for oil changes, timing belts or new tires.  Your home owner's insurance doesn't pay to replace a 10 year old water heater or furnace.  Let's buy health insurance for cancer, for COPD, Alzheimer's and other things that would BREAK US financially.  Not the routine visits to the doctor's office.
      March 12, 2017 3:10 PM MDT