Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What's the biggest local news story in your area?

What's the biggest local news story in your area?

The biggest news story here is the large amounts of damage from the fires that happened from the 6th through the 8th. There were 440,000+ acres burned, lives and homes lost, livestock gone or severely injured and firefighters injured. Days later and the air still smells burned and gross.

Posted - March 12, 2017

Responses

• big wind storms last week that dropped a lot of trees and power lines.   Some are still without power.   Now there is a Nor-easter storm coming that could bring over two feet.
      March 12, 2017 11:11 AM MDT

Yikes! I hope it doesn't get too bad
      March 12, 2017 11:15 AM MDT

• Thanks.  I just hooked the plow back up and tuned it up.   The thing sat all winter used twice.  It wasn't even needed really for those  but wanted to roll it to move the oil and grease.  I took it down a  week ago when it was 65  and now.....
      March 12, 2017 11:34 AM MDT

I want a plow for my driveway.... But I'm a ways away from buying one. Or weather has been like that too... From almost 90 down to the 40s in 24 hours - causes havoc with my bones and head
      March 12, 2017 11:37 AM MDT

• How big is your drive way?  If your just doing yours a used lawn tractor that runs good with a snow blade can push a surprisingly good chunk of snow with snow chains or ag tires  on it. Without one of those it won't move two feet though.  Sometimes you get good ones that the deck is shot on for a few hundred.

Hell of a lot  cheaper than a truck plow and beating on the truck.   Just gotta dress warm.
      March 12, 2017 11:56 AM MDT

Ya know, I never thought to see how long my drive way is.... But is at least twice as long as those in town. I've thought of that, but there's so many other things that I should and need to get done that I've just shoveled it by hand.
      March 12, 2017 12:28 PM MDT

• I hear ya' on the priorities.
      March 12, 2017 1:57 PM MDT

March 12, 2017 11:17 AM MDT

The first... Wow!  We didn't get much snow this season and I kinda miss it.
      March 12, 2017 11:29 AM MDT

Blairgowrie parrot stolen.
      March 12, 2017 11:51 AM MDT

Poor parrot
      March 12, 2017 12:29 PM MDT

We always joked, if I put the snow blower in the garage at the front of the house it would not snow. Every winter we had major snow storms then I finally bought a 48" wide snow blower just for our long driveway (16'w by 60' long). It was four years before we had a four inch snow that I could try the snowblower out. Then it was another three years before I got to use it again. I would put it in the shed during the summer months and along around October move it to the garage. Well with the recent 70 degree weather I was going to put it in the shed. I was out mowing the lawn Thursday and thought it would be a good time to put it back in the shed. Well I was distracted and forgot to do it. Now we are looking at a major snow event Monday night thru Tuesday. Will I get the opportunity to use it? I'll let you know Wednesday.
      March 12, 2017 1:36 PM MDT

• I know exactly what you mean.   I have that same luck.  If I prep for it in December it will be a promise of a mild winter.   If I slack on it, we will get records.
      March 12, 2017 1:59 PM MDT

Biggest news here in the Big Apple is that we are expecting a blizzard starting tomorrow night into Tuesday that is expected to dump 8-12" of snow on us.  I'm hoping my office will do the right thing and close, but one way or another, this old snowflake is staying indoors.
      March 12, 2017 3:42 PM MDT

I can't blame ya.... I'd stay indoors too
      March 13, 2017 3:39 AM MDT

They just upgraded the amount of snow from 8-12" to 12-20".  There is nothing so important at work that I have to do that would justify me trudging in.
      March 13, 2017 10:24 AM MDT

I remember many moons ago trudging through the snow for three blocks to get to the subway in the Bronx. We used tokens back then, I think they were 10 or 15 dents each for one ride. Once on the train I was home free. My office where I worked was in a building which was on top of an underground subway station. So I would leave the train and take an elevator up. There were places to buy lunch and stuff in the underground station. They never closed the business when it snowed. I can only remember once when the trains stopped running and that was because of a blackout.
      March 13, 2017 8:45 AM MDT

That was a long time ago as we haven't used tokens in quite a while.  My office is in a building where the subway runs underneath, but I would still have to trudge to a station near my home first and then when I got home.  They have now upgraded the expected storm to drop 12-20" of snow (yesterday it was 8-12")  If that's the case, it's likely my office will close because a lot of our attorneys live in Westchester County and they take the railroad in.  Those tracks are outdoors.
      March 13, 2017 10:23 AM MDT

weve had wildfires in colorado cause of the winds
      March 12, 2017 4:44 PM MDT

I hope everything goes ok and they don't get as bad as they did here. They finally got the last one contained after a week of it burning. This post was edited by fallnhope at March 13, 2017 3:41 AM MDT
      March 13, 2017 3:41 AM MDT

I live in southern California, while everybody else is flooding, or freezing to death, we have been baking. We almost hit 100 degrees last week. Normal weather temperature wise is in the mid 80s. Too early for summer! Also, there have been many murder suicides in an area where a homicide a year was big news. One murder in particular involving a local attorney has the community reeling. The world is spinning out of control. (2 Timothy 3:1-5)
      March 19, 2017 10:47 PM MDT