Discussion » Questions » Emotions » OK trying this as an experiment... a UK News question... so the govt are thinking of introducing *happiness* courses in schools - good idea?

OK trying this as an experiment... a UK News question... so the govt are thinking of introducing *happiness* courses in schools - good idea?

Based on the mindfullness stuff which I think comes from America.. it's getting popular here.. and more and more people here have heard of it.. They want to introduce it cos, like America we are seeing more and more troubled teens, self-harm, depression and anxiety.. 

The thinking is that we should pay attention to the wellbeing of children just as much as their academic attainments... 

So good idea? What do you think? Or is it just another waste of money new-fad?

PS this is only a semi-experiment cos it discusses US items.

Posted - March 12, 2017

Responses

IMHO, if there's no happiness at home the school is in an uphill battle.  Maybe a homework assignment with parents participation, even that is questionable.  (Special emphasis on IMHO)
      March 12, 2017 12:41 PM MDT

• You bring a heart-rending perspective, Beans/SG...can our schools function in loco parentis?
      March 12, 2017 12:46 PM MDT

• In loco parentis, huh? Yes, I do know what it means but couldn't help being reminded of Whistle's question just now: Are parents insane?

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 12, 2017 8:41 PM MDT
      March 12, 2017 7:03 PM MDT

• Ahh most people think that..but what if.... the unhappiness is caused by school? More interested in targets and exam results, pressure to beat all the other schools in the league tables...

And I think the suggestion is that the issue is way, way wider than home-life and parents... it's a social thing, society, expectations, media pressure on kids to be perfect, over-sexualisation from a very early age, tech taking over rather than personal connections and the quality of online relationships as opposed to real friendships and connections can leave young people feeling helpless and hopeless, alienated.. Not sure what it is but undeniable increase in self-harm and depression among youth in UK and US This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 12, 2017 1:07 PM MDT
      March 12, 2017 1:04 PM MDT

Your point is well taken.  Sounds like parents should be involved in those circumstances. This post was edited by Beans/SilentGeneration at March 12, 2017 1:23 PM MDT
      March 12, 2017 1:07 PM MDT

• I say this from personal perspective.. I have my daughter currently not attending school due to severe anxiety.. the system has let her down badly, she has been bullied in these large impersonal institutions for years and as Virginia said schooling now if more often about crowd control - there is so much bullying at my daughter's school that they almost don't seem to know where to begin :(
      March 12, 2017 1:11 PM MDT

My extended family had many school teachers, their main complaint then were disruptive kids, too much time was being spent on disciplinary problems instead of teaching. 

Most retired before the present bullying problem.  Sadly the younger family members steer real clear of teaching. This post was edited by Beans/SilentGeneration at March 12, 2017 5:23 PM MDT
      March 12, 2017 1:31 PM MDT

• I think you are right.. the whole thing  is a mess... kids misbhaving and disrespecting teachers, teachers being stressed to the max and as you say spending all their time trying to discipline when they shouldn't have to.. My daughter got told off in a class once ... the class were totally out of order, unruly.. daughter couldn't concentrate and the teacher wasn't doing anything to stop it... The feeling was she couldn't.. she didn't know where to start with such an overwhelming problem.. and that's how I think it is sometimes now.. the behaviour takes forefront.. the scale of bad behaviour is so massive that teachers are out of their depth :(

Interestingly I work in education.. admin.. and we have just had to erm remove someone from a class who was being disruptive.. this was an ADULT... and we are seeing a lot of young adults who are totally disruptive... like they got away with it at school and now come to adult education with that same attitude... WE don't have to accept it...I was nice... i had a long talk with this one, and have done same with others.. and moved him to a different class but he's on his last chance..  I made it clear that we don't have to put up with it and that we are being kind letting him stay...

It's a very sad situation tho...:(
      March 12, 2017 2:45 PM MDT

• Dear DDBTD,
    Your question is interesting (as well as quite important)...and my answer is a definite, unequivocal MAYBE.

If you bring mindfulness into "LORD OF THE FLIES" situations of our public school system, will that help the youngsters? Some of my friends who were superb, dedicated teachers actually left the field because their jobs had devolved into crowd control.

Long term solution, develop learning situations optimal for the children; example, the Evaline School District here in Washington State. It's composed of one three-room schoolhouse with dedicated teachers and all the amenities; computers, school nurse, has its own fleet of (one) schoolbus, has its own superintendent of schools! 

The obstreperous locals fought VERY hard against the trend of centralization, for the sake of their children - and the amazing part is that the cost-per-student is lower than the centralized systems. 

I hope Element 99 finds your Q, he is a retired teacher!
    Here you see the ENTIRE Evaline School District...

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 12, 2017 7:06 PM MDT
      March 12, 2017 12:44 PM MDT

• You make a good point.. high schools here, (well they are called secondary school) are huge unwieldy things with 1000 or more students.. how can anyone expect to be noticed in that setting? 

Maybe smaller is better
      March 12, 2017 1:09 PM MDT

• Fascinating stuff, Virginia. :)
      March 12, 2017 7:06 PM MDT

• Dozy...I was remembering as I wrote that post...that school is over 100 years old...and what the local folk had to go through to resist government pressure to consolidate is hard to believe. Obstacles were thrown up like moving an extra five acres out of an irrevocable trust, demanding an (irrational) septic upgrade when there was no way to accomplish that.
    And...this is Donald Trump country, ultraconservative...the school struggle seen as resisting liberal oppression and dehumanization.
      March 12, 2017 8:59 PM MDT

• It's hard for anybody over here to understand the degree of animosity that exists between the two sides of US politics. So many people, from both sides, indulge in sheer hatred.
      March 12, 2017 9:04 PM MDT

To be honest, I don't know what a happiness class would be except a counselling class, with everyone knowing what is bothering everyone else.

From what I read,  "According to the report, this could be due to factors such as pressure to have access to money, have the perfect body and lifestyle or to achieve in school and university."
    Guess the obvious answer is get rid of the TV ads, (Go back to BBC only, with censored or no ads) add more physical training classes in school, and get better teachers and curriculum. (and ban kids from stores so there is no need for money)

Happiness should start at home, so perhaps the class should be for the parents!!
      March 12, 2017 1:13 PM MDT

• THAT is an intriguing idea...the class for the parents...
      March 12, 2017 1:25 PM MDT

With this question I didn't read the other answers first and try time come up with something else to give the questioner more diversity. Its important that I give my own opinion on this question, not minding if I sound like others or not.  
    Probably. If the curriculum respected, encouraged and supported each childs interpretation of "happiness". Not canned ideas of what administration or the governing body's interpretation of "happiness". 
    Generally I am always supportive of anything that helps any child in any way, any where at any time. We all need to be supportive of children. If having programs that help them deal or give them life tools, is an option, why the heck not? Children today have different issues than we did. Their issues are not worse or better, just different. Because they are being raised in a digital age they are missing certain skills. If an education entity wants to incorporate a curriculum that attempts to rectify those lost skills, then I'd be all for it. I'd even agree to pay for it through a tax. 
      March 12, 2017 2:14 PM MDT

i think its a good idea too since people dont seem to know how to be happy
      March 12, 2017 4:27 PM MDT

• Thats a lot to chew on, DBTD.
    Theoretically, It could be of great value for young people who dwell in unhappy environs to at least be exposed to what constitutes human happiness and how to go about attaining some.
    That said, there is no accounting for uncertain classroom environment, or for the educational viability of gov't imposed instruction. 
    We in the US had a ridiculous bureaucrat-imposed math and language program in public schools called Common Core, which was so caught up with assessments, schoolchildren were caught in a relentless cycle of being taught to a test, filling their young minds with utterly useless rote information, not developing learning skills. Since most of the kids in the US attend public schools, I suspect we will be paying dues on that sh*t for a generation. I am thankful my brats went to private schools.  This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 12, 2017 7:55 PM MDT
      March 12, 2017 4:45 PM MDT

I don't trust them an inch. Their definition of happiness will be a politically correct one.

Before you know it they will be introducing Happiness Tzars and/or Named Persons to make sure the children conform to it. Oops sorry, they've shelved the latter (in Scotland), at least temporarily.

March 12, 2017 4:58 PM MDT

• You just have to love Malizz's answer. That sums it up. 

My thought? If you have to teach somebody how to be happy it's a waste of energy. It isn't a learned process. Besides, who ever heard of a teen who didn't enjoy a good sulk.
      March 12, 2017 7:10 PM MDT

I don't know how you can really teach happiness. I don't have any direct contact with it, but I have heard bad things about the environment in our schools today. But then, I found my own schooldays awfully depressing. They may mean well, but making people happy involves tackling factors throughout their whole lifestyle, not just giving them some kind of course. Even then, some people are just going to be clinically depressed, and it will take a lot of professional counseling to help them.
      March 13, 2017 9:25 AM MDT