Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » The largest human organ is our skin, it is airtight, waterproof, flexible and fallible.

The largest human organ is our skin, it is airtight, waterproof, flexible and fallible.

What some qualities of other species' skin that would be great to have as a human?

~

Posted - March 14, 2017

Responses

• Weird as' question:/ cos I said so. 
      March 14, 2017 9:23 PM MDT

It's neither airtight nor watertight - we perspire.
    Personally I think an exoskeleton woukd be pretty cool.
      March 14, 2017 9:31 PM MDT

• A tortoise shell would be handy at the beach. I've never heard of a sunburned tortoise.
    Then there's a rhino's skin. Useful for public servants who routinely get back-stabbed at work.
    Goldfish skin would keep you dry in the rain. Well, sort of. 
    Bear skin would be great in the winter but might be a bit too warm for the summer.
    And porcupine skin would be magic to help you push through the crowds to get a front row view at a parade.
    If you ask me human skin is overrated. 

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 15, 2017 6:31 AM MDT
      March 14, 2017 9:33 PM MDT

• Lol :) 
      March 14, 2017 9:35 PM MDT

At times I am sensitive, during those times I wish I was this;))
      March 14, 2017 11:22 PM MDT

B...bu...but how would I be able to give you a friendly hug?

~
      March 15, 2017 6:16 AM MDT

Skin is not air tight or water proof.   The skin as an organ constantly absorbs things from the atmosphere and exudes/expresses on a consistent basis.    Its in fact a quite breathable physical covering.    Flexible, yes.   And im glad you said 'fallible' rather than 'infallible' because, as awesome as skin is as an organ, it is quite fallible.  Fairly easily damaged despite its other protective qualities.    Still the flexibility and breathability alone i think make it ideal.  Cant think of any other animal covering i would want.   Most others would be too inflexible or cumbersome for human needs.  
      March 15, 2017 7:37 AM MDT

This one...I could make my own food.
      March 15, 2017 8:31 AM MDT