Active Now

Danilo_G
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » Gun-related and car-related deaths are higher in the US than elsewhere. Is that something in which Americans should take great pride? Why?

Gun-related and car-related deaths are higher in the US than elsewhere. Is that something in which Americans should take great pride? Why?

Posted - March 16, 2017

Responses

i dont think its anything to take pride in and they need to do away with guns
      March 16, 2017 3:54 PM MDT

jDon't hold your breath pearl! Thank you for your answer and Happy Sunday!  :)
      April 2, 2017 7:31 AM MDT

Such statistics harm the country's reputation abroad.
      April 1, 2017 4:28 PM MDT

I know they embarrass me Durdle but many folks here  feel no embarrassment or shame. Go figger! Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday! :)
      April 2, 2017 7:30 AM MDT

For a start you should all be driving on the proper side of the road Rosie.....I mean....it's not rocket sicence is it.......Take it from me...if all you lot stopped Swan'ing like lunatics on the wrong side the death rate would improve overnight I think... 
    and why you all need guns is another crazy thing.....how many kids are killed each year out there for playing with unattended firearms ?
      April 1, 2017 4:57 PM MDT

Sweetie no one drives on the left in the States. The movies I see about the Brits shows no one drives on the right. Who set that up, why and when I haven't a clue. Do you? I think I'm gonna ask that question. As for your comment on guns I don't get it either but it is not one of those topics once can safely discuss at length with those in America who disagree. Know what I mean? Thank you for your reply NJ and Happy Sunday m'dearie dear! :)
      April 2, 2017 7:29 AM MDT

I was trying my hardest to pull your leg Rosie......it's not that easy either with me living across the pond ....lol
      April 2, 2017 3:19 PM MDT

Apologies honey. Remember me? The gal who doesn't know when she is being teased? Maybe you can give me a hint next time. It's embarrassing as heck but it's me! AARRGGHH! Happy Monday to thee NJ! :) ((hugs))
      April 3, 2017 7:23 AM MDT

how many kids are killed each year out there for playing with unattended firearms ?

Actually ... fewer than are killed by accidental drowning.
    According to the CDC ... 3000 people died from accidental drowning in 2014 (not including boating related).
    Only 1000 people died from firearm accidents.
    (Both numbers are rounded to the nearest thousand.)

But I guess the "shock value" of someone drowning in a bathtub doesn't compare with someone getting shot - so you seldom hear about it on the news.

This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at April 3, 2017 5:11 PM MDT
      April 2, 2017 4:02 PM MDT

How many accidental deaths do you think there would be if no one had guns as play things .

In England some years ago all hand guns became illegal.....and had to be handed in to our police......you can bet your life that all the really rare and expensive guns ended up in police pockets and were then kept or resold abroad..

thanks for the info.....
      April 2, 2017 4:39 PM MDT

You went to a lot of trouble to justify guns. The question was simple. All I asked was are you proud of that stat? My question compares the US in two areas with the rest of the world. You answered a question I did not ask. You used a diversionary tactic to AVOID answering the question I asked. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday.
      April 3, 2017 7:28 AM MDT

I did not "justify" guns.

I pointed out the fact that gun-related deaths are a small fraction of American deaths every year.
    Far fewer than even something like accidental drowning.
    That was for the people who mistakenly believe that guns are a major cause of death, just because those deaths get all the hype of TV.

I am neither proud nor ashamed of it ... it is what it is.

April 3, 2017 8:34 AM MDT

The top 10 causes of death in the US, which account for 75% of deaths, as of 2014:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

Heart Disease (23.4%)
    Cancer (22.5%)
    Chronic Lower Respiratory Disease (5.6%)
    Accidents (5.2%)
    Stroke (5.1%)
    Alzheimer's (3.6%)
    Diabetes (2.9%)
    Influenza + Pneumonia (2.1%)
    Kidney Disease (1.8%)
    Suicide (1.6%)

According to the CDC ... of firearm deaths, only 3.9% were accidents ... or 1,310 deaths in 2014.
    Compare that with Suicide, which was 42,773 deaths in 2014.
    And you realize accidental firearm deaths are a VERY SMALL fraction of a percent.

The firearm deaths that weren't an accident?
    2/3 were criminal ... 1/3 was suicide.
    Criminals won't obey laws against gun ownership ... or they wouldn't have firearms in the first place.
    Suicides will find other means.

As we have seen in other nations ... people intent on killing large numbers of people don't need firearms.  Knives, poison, bombs, and vehicles will work.

This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at April 3, 2017 5:10 PM MDT
      April 2, 2017 3:47 PM MDT

Looks like, if you really want to "fight" something that would end a lot of unnecessary death in the US ... make people exercise more (brain and body), and cut down on their sugar intake.  Maybe stop using so many chemicals in our food. 

April 2, 2017 3:50 PM MDT

Stop eating mcDonald's as flies won't land on it and it never rots......don't eat any GM food stuffs....now I'm told in America you don't have to let people know produce is GM foods......
      April 2, 2017 4:44 PM MDT

True. You know why? Because it will cost so much to put that on the labels PLUS WHICH savvy folks stay away from GMO's so sales will collapse. I personally like to know what I'm putting in my body but a lot of folks don't give a rat's a**  if it means it will cost money! SIGH :(
      April 3, 2017 7:25 AM MDT

I agree.
    People make fun of NY for outlawing "super sized" sodas ... but diabetes is a larger killer than firearms.

I always say ... look at the pictures of people in the early 1900s.  They ate larger portions than today, yet most of them are thinner than the average American today.  It was due to all the exercise they got every day, just from doing their normal things.  Technology is great - but it has contributed to our health problems, as well.
      April 3, 2017 8:37 AM MDT

It's outrageous how much the price of sugared water costs and how it's allowed to have prime time advertising ....to sustain sales it's even sold in the poorest contries as making more is vastly more important than people's health....
    its true what you say...... Governments should step in and ban sales of all harmful food and drinks....not alcohol though....hic Hic 

they never ver will though as the powers that be love milking the cash cows for all they are worth....l.most likely they all have shares in said firms 
      April 3, 2017 4:28 PM MDT

Yep ... I always laugh when government say they have to raise taxes on cigarettes to help pay for the health care of people, caused by smoking.  Why not just outlaw "cancer sticks"?  Because it would be too simple, and you know those taxes don't go to health care.
      April 4, 2017 9:59 AM MDT

Tax on tobacco products in England is 12 billion pounds ....treating smoking related illnesses is a fraction of that.....its  not in governments interest to ban smoking..
      April 4, 2017 4:33 PM MDT