Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » For What, And How Often, Do You Use Your Food Processor?

For What, And How Often, Do You Use Your Food Processor?

Are there cooking projects for which a blender or a mixer just won't do the job?
If you were just one person, but do enjoy cooking, would it be worth it to get one?

I am finding certain recipes can really get gummed up in the blender, and too thick for the mixer also; just wondering other people's experience...

Posted - March 21, 2017

Responses

Funny you should ask.
    Mine is actually a blender/food processor. And until recently I have not used it all that much except to make a smoothie once in a while.
    But my dog Lulu will be 12 this year and she has lost some teeth so I am processing food for her that she can eat.
    I have prepared chicken and carrots for her and tonight she will have pork roast and potatoes,  carrots and celery for dinner processed for her to be able to eat with comfort.
      March 21, 2017 1:33 PM MDT

• That is very dear, Lulu's Mom.
    Thank you.
      March 21, 2017 1:35 PM MDT

You are welcome, thanks for asking.
      March 21, 2017 1:41 PM MDT

You know, honestly, I don't use it as much as one would think. For years now I would bring it out to grate a huge block of cheese or to make peanut butter. Sure, there are many things that it can be used for. If you do decide to own one, leave it on your counter with the disks close by. I think you'd be more apt to use it if its on the counter all the time. What it comes down to is personal preference. Because it is you who is specifically asking this question, I'd like to tell you a few treasures from my mom in law. 
    My mom in law is eccentric to say the least. I have never learned more important things from one human being. I call them treasures. While hanging out in her house, I observed things that as I got to know her I finally felt comfortable to inquire about them without feeling embarrassed. She had a food processor, but no broom or dustpan. She had a housekeeper, but I'd find her on her hands and knees cleaning her baseboards. One day, I found her grating her cheese with a flimsy grater next to her food processor. Another day, I'd find her using her food processor all day long for everything she was making that day. She owned no blender, no toaster. She has a food processor and a microwave and a hand crank can opener and that was it. I finally got up the nerve and asked her why she grates her own cheese and washes her baseboards. She told me that as life got busier for her, she would crave the state of mindfulness. She found that doing things by hand gave her the space to be mindful. She didn't want everything done by hand but wanted the occasional respite. So, my friend, is the food processor going to save you valuable time, or will it take up the spaces where you need to be mindful? 
      March 21, 2017 1:44 PM MDT

• Oh DragonFly...that essay is such a treasure...I feel a wonderful rapport with mom-in-law...living her life as makes sense to HER...big big smiles for both you AND mom-n-law...

You know as I think about it...when my little troubled god daughter would stay with me so much...even though I had a dishwasher at that time, I always made sure that we cleaned the kitchen together, washed dishes by hand, and now I think it was some kind of instinct...the "mindfulness," perhaps, of women working domestic together (even though she was only nine then)...I still remember those as good times, and she does even more.
      March 21, 2017 3:01 PM MDT

Thank you. Yes, exactly an example of being mindful with a purpose, together, aiding in healing. Why I call her little treasures so wonderful is that her treasures keep on giving. They've haunted me in their life changing properties. Because of that conversation, I take time to enjoy the process, when I can, have time, or if prudent. Its not always getting to where you want to go, its sometimes about the journey. 
      March 21, 2017 4:17 PM MDT

• Dragonfly, hurrah for the journey, even if it means we are eccentric, too!
      March 21, 2017 4:43 PM MDT

We have one of those magic bullet thingies. I used to make hummus but the motor burned up.
      March 21, 2017 1:52 PM MDT

I had one of those too and mine also burned out. But it was great while it lasted.
      March 21, 2017 2:22 PM MDT

• Well that is good to know about magic Bullet...both of you same experience!
      March 21, 2017 2:55 PM MDT

• This week  I used my food processor to make two types of hummus and the tomato base for curried chick pea dal and the curry base for saag paneer.
      March 21, 2017 2:06 PM MDT

• Those would  be expedited by a food processor, sounds like the kind of dishes I do not even prepare because of the time/difficulty w/o a food processor.
    Thank you Whistle6, that is helpful!
      March 21, 2017 3:03 PM MDT

• I  love cooking.  Yesterday I made wonderful saag panner and dal.  Today rice with  curried eggplant and carrots.
      March 21, 2017 3:09 PM MDT

• Whistle6, is there a brand/model you would recommend?
    Mine should probably be a smallish one, I think...only one person usually. But your dishes sound like the kinds I would like to be able to make.
      March 21, 2017 3:35 PM MDT

• Cuisinart. It was modestly priced and has served me well for several years.   I have heard good things about the Ninja products as another poster mentioned.
      March 21, 2017 7:37 PM MDT

I inherited a La Machine but it is such a nuisance to get it down from the top shelf without slicing my fingers, and then washing it without slicing my fingers, and then putting it back on the top shelf without slicing my fingers. It is a rare occasion when I am willing to go through all this just so I don't have to use a knife.
      March 21, 2017 2:13 PM MDT

• Jewels, thank you so much, La Machine or any processor with lots of sharpness unavoidable is off the list!
    I have wanted to tell you also, ty for that wonderful ginger oat pancake recipe. I eat those for breakfast now almost every day, and dinner too if busy...really really good recipe.
      March 21, 2017 3:05 PM MDT

Don't use one.
      March 21, 2017 4:51 PM MDT

I'm on food processor #3.  I've burnt out 2, I use them so much.  I have a nice blender, even have aBullet....but the food processor is my go-to appliance, it's so versatile.  From mayo to chopping onions/celery for T'day stuffing, to hummus to chopped salad to waffle batter.....

I'd give up my microwave first...frankly.
      March 21, 2017 7:39 PM MDT

Hi Virginia, I've this mixer grinder, I use it very often. Indian cuisine requires a lot of grinding, grating,etc. This post was edited by Veena.K at March 21, 2017 7:47 PM MDT
      March 21, 2017 7:47 PM MDT