Active Now

Randy D
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Language » Today's word: disappointment

Today's word: disappointment

Disappointment
dɪsəˈpɔɪntm(ə)nt/
noun
sadness or displeasure caused by the non-fulfilment of one's hopes or expectations.

How do you define disappointment into your perception?

Posted - July 15, 2016

Responses

Paying .50 cents in a public restroom to poop, and only fart. Now that's disappointment, Whoa!

July 15, 2016 2:53 PM MDT

On the other hand the opposite would be a real bummer. ;-)
      July 15, 2016 2:54 PM MDT

I do too.  I love reading all the different responses.  

July 15, 2016 2:58 PM MDT

Ikr. :-)
      July 15, 2016 3:19 PM MDT

• It's funny that you mention "loan words" ... English is full of stolen words, we do it well :) ... they even stole a French word to describe them .. they are called portmanteau words ... i guess as a portmanteau is used to carry things, a portmanteau word is used to carry a meaning that English doesn't have ... and so endth today's lesson lol

July 15, 2016 5:44 PM MDT

• I think acceptance is the big thing to learn in life .. you just don't always win, end of story

July 15, 2016 5:46 PM MDT

• I think you're changeling Socrates:)

July 15, 2016 5:47 PM MDT

I am aware about why or how a portmanteau word gets into a vocabulary in our various languages. However I at times doubt that the real essence of the words, as they stay inside their original languages will be taken with them. That made me wonder. Hmm. I guess at times I never won't today's lesson to end. ;-)
      July 16, 2016 1:15 AM MDT

It might not always be about winning, oz. Disappointments can come from other angles as challenging and competitive behaviour from our sides. That said, acceptance is an important lesson in life too. Hmm. Here comes another word for the list. :-)
      July 16, 2016 1:19 AM MDT

That would be taking it and my own abilities a step or two too long, dear. :-)
      July 16, 2016 1:21 AM MDT

;-)
      July 16, 2016 1:22 AM MDT

Keep showing lack in class, "Al". It's not even a disappointment, it's merely confirming your behaviour. Do you want to turn, me telling you wrong on how biased sources doesn't make the truth into a personal harassment of my person? Look up ToS. Make your critics factual and within the threads where the argument is taken, don't follow into my questions to make me feel bad or provoked. It makes you look pathetic and like the little boy in the schoolyard who cannot make his argument valid in oral, and next chooses to make his argument strong by punching the girl in her face.

#keyboardheroespffft
      July 16, 2016 5:11 AM MDT

Why would I pay .50 cents to fart, lol.

July 16, 2016 5:16 AM MDT

• I thought that was everyday's word.  Or at least one of them.

July 16, 2016 5:21 AM MDT

Your choice. If it turns out to be more than a fart you'll feel bummed. No one is forcing you, nor telling you to bring in farts to the OP. If you don't ever did, or is doing yo do as you suggested in your initial reply I don't see any reason for you replying as you did. Ciao.
      July 16, 2016 5:24 AM MDT

I'm curious how you define it, if everyday is a disappointment for you?
      July 16, 2016 5:26 AM MDT

Then the question raises, if you do expect enough?
      July 16, 2016 6:47 AM MDT

• No, but pretty much every day is a mixture.  I can get disappointed about a football result, or the fact that Jeremy (sounds like) Hunt is still in a job after a cabinet reshuffle.  On the same day I may be delighted at some news or other from family or friends, or entertained by someone's visit. 

If someone really thinks life is a disappointment all the time they're either really, really unlucky, or ill.  That would be rather sad and I'd be disappointed for them.  :)

July 16, 2016 7:43 PM MDT

I don't think I'd be disappointed for them, but I'd feel sorry for them. I think it's a question what we will allow to be a disappointment to us. Just like you said, a football result as an example. Is it a true disappointment? Will it influence us? I know it will for some as they live and breath for their team. Let me wish your team good luck in the new season to give you less disappointments. :-)
      July 17, 2016 2:01 AM MDT

Balance in life is good. And true, life is giving us lessons we can gather experience from to avoid all the same kind of disappointments once again, or at least most of them. :-)
      July 17, 2016 2:03 AM MDT

• UK football is such a tribal thing that I can honestly say in over 40 years of being a supporter nobody has ever done that.  

Thank you for introducing me to a genuinely new experience.  :)

July 17, 2016 5:43 AM MDT

You're welcome. I'd say as one looking at your national team from the outside, the expectations shouldn't be as high as they seem before every bigger international championship. Your federation seems not having a vision for how to make UK great again (partly borrowed from Trump, who by the way isn't a disappointment but a disgrace to humanity). Again all my best wishes. :-)

And I'm glad I could introduce you to a new experience, hopefully a great one for you.
      July 17, 2016 5:55 AM MDT

:-)
      July 17, 2016 6:58 AM MDT

• A feeling of negativity evoked in us by an event for which we may or may not be responsible.

Example 1: A last minute cancellation of an appointment or date (for which we are not responsible)

Example 2: A poor result in an examination (because of our own negligence in studies, for which we are responsible)

August 10, 2016 12:07 AM MDT

Yes, both would be a disappointment in my optics too. Thank you. :-)
      August 10, 2016 12:45 AM MDT