Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Shuhak
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Gender is assigned by note of external genitalia but shouldn't allowances be made for error when internal organs and chromosomal

Gender is assigned by note of external genitalia but shouldn't allowances be made for error when internal organs and chromosomal

data have not been considered?

Posted - March 27, 2017

Responses

March 28, 2017 12:30 AM MDT

Lol!
    ~
      March 28, 2017 6:27 AM MDT

Gender is not "assigned", sex is recorded (not assigned) based upon reproductive organs.
      March 28, 2017 1:35 AM MDT

Thank you!
    ~
      March 28, 2017 6:27 AM MDT

• I'm going to make this very simple. Gender is based soley on biological appearance. If you have a penis, you're male. If you have a vagina, you're female, period! (lol, that was punny). Gender is not determined by choice or by feeling, or by whatever standard these people say gender is based on.
      March 28, 2017 6:23 AM MDT

Well put. 
      March 28, 2017 6:28 AM MDT

• Thank you, sir!
      March 28, 2017 6:33 AM MDT

• This is generally accurate, except in cases where determination is ambiguous, also known as intersex individuals. In the past, doctors would perform surgery in order to assign a sex. I'm not certain if chromosomal variations were taken into consideration. Unfortunately, as adults, these people might find themselves with anatomy with which they don't identify. As such, I don't think they are as willing to alter physiology today. Also, if a doctor cannot determine a sex by mere observation, not sure what they would put on a birth certificate. Is there a TBD on 21st century birth certificates?
      March 28, 2017 10:04 AM MDT

What about people that have both a penis and a vagina ? that is where it gets kinda difficult. And there are a lot more of such babies than most people think
      March 31, 2017 5:40 AM MDT

• If that has occured naturally then it is a medical issue and is an exception. That doesn't apply to my answer.
      April 1, 2017 12:31 PM MDT

• You're wrong Corey, 
    Sometimes you can't tell. 
    Sometimes development gets arrested somewhere where it could look like something and be something else.
    Google it. 
      April 1, 2017 12:11 AM MDT

• I'm not talking about a developing baby or child. Such an occurance is a natural medical issue and doesn't apply to my answer.
      April 1, 2017 12:33 PM MDT

You've toughed on an increasingly complex topic here & yes technically speaking having a penis makes you male ... but that's about five percent of what gender reassignment is all about. The desire for some to live their lives as the opposite sex to which they were born can often mean the difference between life & death & nobody but nobody would understand that unless they've been there. I've heard these comments a thousand times over & there's probably only two of you that MAY come slightly close to understanding what it's all about. As for the rest of you ... you've voiced a harmless observation of your thoughts ... but to the two presenters ... take your redneck views elsewhere ... oh & btw I have firsthand knowledge of this topic.     
      March 31, 2017 9:56 PM MDT