Active Now

Randy D
Shuhak
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » Have you ever experienced an earthquake?

Have you ever experienced an earthquake?

How bad was it? How did it affect you? 

Posted - March 30, 2017

Responses

Twice. 

The first is more of a technicality as I was two-years-old. 
    It was the Loma Prieta earthquake of '89:

www.vibrationdata.com/earthquakes/lomaprieta.htm

It's the second one that I remember, the 5.6 on October 30, 2007. The strongest we've had since the Loma Prieta. 
    http://www.mercurynews.com/2007/10/30/update-5-6-quake-hits-near-alum-rock-strongest-since-loma-prieta/

I was in college, just saving my progress of a graphic design project I'd been working on and watching my first season of American Idol. 
    Admittedly, I kinda freaked. 

This post was edited by Temperance Brennan at March 30, 2017 11:29 PM MDT
      March 30, 2017 5:23 PM MDT

• Thanks for that, and for the links. I remember that photograph in the first link. It was pretty sensational at the time. Still is, I guess. 
      March 30, 2017 5:56 PM MDT

• Nope... Kind of rare here... This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 30, 2017 11:29 PM MDT
      March 30, 2017 5:39 PM MDT

• I was working night shift at the Sydney GPO when the earthquake hit Newcastle, about 160 km to the north. It was about 2.00 or 3.00 am, I was sitting at my teleprinter, and the whole, enormous sandstone building swayed a few times. I'd never experienced it before but you don't need to be told twice what's happening.\

There was another, just close enough to be flt, around 1989. It wasn't nearly as noticeable, though. 
      March 30, 2017 5:58 PM MDT

• I've only had the expderience one -- well, twice I suppose, check my comment to Ozgirl. And, yes, I'm pleased to have had it. 
      March 30, 2017 6:00 PM MDT

I'm not quite sure ,but I think I've been experiencing the earth move ever since I was 17 ...It actually made me go weak at the knees......    Hehe .......   :)P This post was edited by Nice Jugs at March 30, 2017 11:29 PM MDT
      March 30, 2017 6:36 PM MDT

• I used to write articles for a cycling magazine and one of them was about sports-related injuries. I wrote about the time I was on crutches for a month and had to get up a long flight of stairs at Central railway station during the morning rush. I found the best way to do it was by holding the crutches in my left hand, the handrail in my right, and hopping up. By the time I got to the top it felt as though I'd just had a long session of coitus verticus, but it wasn't as much fun.

That was the only thing that was ever edited out of one of my articles.
      March 30, 2017 9:42 PM MDT

I can I can imagine it was.....lol........ I myself hate getting head'hitted though and just glad they don't do that on ere with the crap I rite .........i'd tell my dad if that ever happened and he'd tell my Mom and then they'd really cop for it.....hehe
      March 31, 2017 2:51 AM MDT

Yes---https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1959_Hebgen_Lake_earthquake

I
     was 14 and in Billings MT. sleeping downstairs with my grandfather who was visiting us.---Shook the beds pretty good and woke us both up---he asked what was that?---I said just an earthquake, just go back to sleep."---

Lucky (?) guess on my part.
      March 30, 2017 7:46 PM MDT

• Very blasé Tom. :)
      March 31, 2017 3:47 AM MDT

Coincidentally, geology was on the science menu at school the year previously.---So it was on my mind.

57 years later I'm blase about most things---Like you, I'm old enough to have seen most things before---lol---

April 3, 2017 12:51 PM MDT

• I've experienced several of them, yes. I do, after all, live in the Earthquake State. The biggest one was the Napa earthquake in 2014. That one scared me!
      March 30, 2017 7:56 PM MDT

• I was in Christchurch, NZ, a year or two before a big earthquake wiped out the city centre. It was a shame to see such a beautiful city so badly damaged.
      March 31, 2017 3:48 AM MDT

Check any quake map in the S.E. corner of California and you will see that quakes are more common than farts. Fortunately they are up & down, so there is little damage. THIS QUAKE was really big. It just kept shaking until I thought maybe I should go outside because I would feel really dumb if the house collapsed with me still in it. By the time I got to the door, the plates were rattling in the cupboards. Outside my car was BOUNCING! My sister had a sink full of dishes and she said the quake washed the dishes.

BTW when you watch those flicks, look for the one with the swimming pool in the picture.

Much dust: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04wuGu1yPa0
    Much more dust: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeB-e3yBIho&list=PL279C2A647BB68DAB
      March 30, 2017 9:25 PM MDT

• Amazing stuff and scary indeed. Thanks for sharing. 
      March 31, 2017 3:52 AM MDT

1 small aftershock.. remember back in the early 00's when California had those big quacks? well, some small aftershocks went up the coast and rumbled the area i was in (i was in grade 5 and at school when that happened) the building didn't rumble anymore than what a strong rumble of thunder would have done. (i lived in Saskatchewan for a few years so i know what an intense lightning/thunderstorm storm is like- which we don't get on the west coast) This post was edited by Skunky Stinkerson at March 31, 2017 3:52 AM MDT
      March 30, 2017 11:28 PM MDT

• Thanks, Skunky. 
      March 31, 2017 3:52 AM MDT

I have felt three earth tremors in my life, one in Cumbria, and the others down here in Cambridgeshire. Earthquakes in Britain tend to be pretty minor, but we do have them.
      March 31, 2017 7:15 AM MDT

• I've only had a couple. We're both lucky not to live in shaky areas. 
      March 31, 2017 1:59 PM MDT

yes, ive been in several of them in different places, i didnt get hurt but they freaked me out
      April 3, 2017 3:51 PM MDT