Active Now

Randy D
Shuhak
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » Do you have a personal strategy to handle natural disasters in your area?

Do you have a personal strategy to handle natural disasters in your area?

It might be fire, flood, cyclone, tsunami, earthquake, even civil disorder or a terrorist attack. Do you have a contingency plan to cope with any of those?

Posted - March 30, 2017

Responses

I'm a survivalist so I'm prepared for anything. But if I don't survive I have 2 sons who are also survivalists so it increases the chances of me living for ever even if it's just in a  gene pool. Cheers! This post was edited by Nanoose at March 30, 2017 9:19 PM MDT
      March 30, 2017 6:23 PM MDT

• Genetically transmitted survival skills.. :)
      March 30, 2017 6:30 PM MDT

No - if I don't survive they might and then when they have kids my gens will survive in them. Cheers!
      March 30, 2017 6:45 PM MDT

• Hi Dozy,
    I have thought about that...because here in the Pacific raincoast we are in that ring of fire and overdue for a big earthquake of some kind. Also, as in World War II the coast is vulnerable to attack. This is also an area of survivalists, some of them war veterans with PTSD, some they think the government will attack the people and lots of guns barricaded up in the hills.

I have decided that I myself will not do it; I won't prepare for terror of any kind, and if it comes I will simply try to help others...as for myself, let the chips fall where they may...I have given my life a very fine go already.
      March 30, 2017 6:54 PM MDT

• Our only real concern here is bushfire. We're too old to stay and fight now so for us the survival technique is to get in the car and head over the river.

Last time there was real danger we had a phone call from the boarding kennel where we used to leave Zoe. They offered free accommodation for her till the danger was past. 
      March 30, 2017 9:32 PM MDT

• Oh Dozy, what a heartening story; thinking of the safety of their little clients...
      March 30, 2017 10:51 PM MDT

• They even went a step further. They said if my neighbours needed helpl they'd assist. Yeah, it was really nice of them. It was good business, too, but really I think they just wanted to help.
      March 30, 2017 10:55 PM MDT

Yes, Didge.  I live in Florida.  We stock up on food and water as hurricane season approaches.  We make sure we have batteries, flashlights, and candles.  We also have an AC generator to keep the freezer going during the day and our small air conditioner going at night.  We also have hurricane shutters but never use them.  Even during last years Hurricane Matthew I don't think anyone had their windows blown out.  Did you get hit by the typhoon there in OZ?
      March 30, 2017 7:14 PM MDT

• You've got it well covered, and that's exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of when i asked the question. In a climate like yours you'd have to be prepared. 

We didn't have any problems -- the hurricane was far to the north. Yesterday we caught the tail end of it and although the winds had dropped the rain was torrential. Today it's a sunny, pleasant autumn day.
      March 30, 2017 9:34 PM MDT

• I'd leave work immediately. Who wants to perish at work?  I might pray to which ever gods did not send the disaster to battle the gods that did.
      March 30, 2017 7:28 PM MDT

Many businesses have emergency plans in place for various things---tornadoes for example.
      March 30, 2017 7:35 PM MDT

• This is true.  But still, who wants to face at disaster at work, a place one generally does not want to be at even in good times.
      March 30, 2017 8:55 PM MDT

• That's the problem, Whistle. When the gods chuck a wobbly we mortals can only run for shelter and keep our butts out of trouble. 
      March 30, 2017 9:35 PM MDT

• We need better gods.
      March 31, 2017 5:20 AM MDT

I've beaten the odss a number of times, Didge---I think I'll just let the bet ride.---

But I do take reasonable precautions with weather related possibilities.
      March 30, 2017 7:37 PM MDT

• With you all the way, Tom. It's a shame wasting your life worrying about something that may not happen ... or, that is inevitable.
      March 30, 2017 9:36 PM MDT

Absolutely---worrying time cuts down on living time.
      April 3, 2017 12:53 PM MDT

Panic and have some batteries for lights. I have a wind up radio. Do they still broadcast radio signals? I have a solar phone charger. Food could be a problem depending on the day. 
      March 30, 2017 9:02 PM MDT

• I haven't used a "wind-up" radio since my army days. It had a heavy portable generator that we had to carry with us everywhere ... and guess who was the bloody radio operator? 
      March 30, 2017 9:38 PM MDT

• I was home alone once when the tornado sirens went off and I did discover that when desperate I could fit under the lowest shelf of the airing cupboard along with the cat.  We do have a plan which we had to do a few days ago to gather everybody next to the inside wall and cover us all with quilts/sleeping bags.  Another tornado is predicted for this weekend so we'll go through this again, unfortunately they always seem to happen at night so we all have to get out of bed quick.
      March 30, 2017 10:42 PM MDT

• I wish you all good luck with it. I hope it's not too bad.
      March 30, 2017 11:46 PM MDT

• Thanks!  We had a big storm this morning and I'm watching another one approaching on the radar hopefully no tornados though.
      April 2, 2017 10:11 PM MDT

not that i know of, i try not to think about it but we've had a couple of earthquakes where i live
      April 3, 2017 3:50 PM MDT