Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Babies and Kids » Did your parents read bedtimes stories to you as a kid? If so, what?

Did your parents read bedtimes stories to you as a kid? If so, what?

Posted - March 31, 2017

Responses

I cannot remember being read to, though I know I was, as that is where my love of books originated.  As soon as I could read on my own, I read myself to sleep at night.

We did always listen to The Shadow on Saturday nights up north, though.  That was probably the only time the whole family was quiet at the same time.  
      March 31, 2017 1:24 PM MDT

• I like those old radio shows. They were well before my time, but I like playing them sometimes when I'm working around the house

Families were so much tighter back in the day because of the lack of technology
      March 31, 2017 1:32 PM MDT

The up north stations played them, but it's a whole different world up there.  My Dad wouldn't allow a TV at the cabin, so the radio and each other were all we had.  We played a lot of cards and games at night, too.  Good memories.  :)
      March 31, 2017 2:17 PM MDT

Yes!  This was my favorite.  

March 31, 2017 1:42 PM MDT

• I never heard of that one. 

PD Eastman wrote many great children's books. Go Dog, Go! was my favorite 
      March 31, 2017 2:39 PM MDT

I liked that book a lot, too.
    This was my favorite page -- 

:)

Image result for Go, Dog Go! book
      March 26, 2019 6:29 PM MDT

• Yes, I remember being read to. I don't remember too many specifics, but Disney Golden Books were frequent, as were Dr. Seuss books. 
      March 31, 2017 2:17 PM MDT

• Nice...The Golden Books were a staple I think.  I have more fond memories of reading those in the Dr office waiting to get stitched up. lol 
      March 31, 2017 2:40 PM MDT

• Helter Skelter
      March 31, 2017 2:33 PM MDT

• And now, all is clear to me. lol

Setting aside the Psycho killer thing, Charlie is an amazing intelligent, astute, and observant person 
    This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 26, 2019 6:30 PM MDT
      March 31, 2017 2:44 PM MDT

• In all truth, as it pains to say it, he really is.  Hidden  inside his  psychotic ramblings and hate he touched on a lot of things would become the reality.
      March 31, 2017 3:16 PM MDT

• I wonder what happened to the many witnesses called in the trial. The book was a riveting read. I wonder if it's still in print. If it is, I'd love to purchase and re-read. 
      August 19, 2017 1:21 AM MDT

• Not very often but my Mom would read me some Uncle Remus stories and I was fascinated by them.
      March 31, 2017 2:45 PM MDT

My mom read to me all the time, when I was young. My dad had built my mom a bookcase in the dining room that was full of different books.  She also told me spooky stories from New Mexico that were told to her. Like "La Llorona" (The weeping Woman) and other stories that were passed down from generation to generation. 
    I did the same with my kids and grandkids. We would take our kids to our friend who owned a small art gallery in our neighborhood, who was a "Cuentista" (Spanish for Storyteller) on the weekends.
      March 31, 2017 3:01 PM MDT

My mother did.  The Original Grimm's Fairy Tales, Hans Christian Anderson's tales and, my favorite was Poe's The Raven.  
      March 31, 2017 3:20 PM MDT

My mum and dad never ever read to me.. I read a lot to my sons, Harry Potter springs to mind but so, many others... I read much less to my daughter, time and older age seemed to get in the way.. she did however, listen to CD stories read by her gran or read by celebrities. 
      March 31, 2017 3:50 PM MDT

Doubtful
    have no memories of such love.
    Was an adopted kid...only pretend love
      March 31, 2017 4:16 PM MDT

Baba, your adopted family didn't show you any real love? :-(
      March 31, 2017 4:36 PM MDT

not where I was ever hugged
    and where I could feel some sensitive love.
    Step moms love was with a switch to the legs
    and I was always a bad boy in her eyes.
    Step dad would take me fishing and hunting
    kind of love.
    ...whenever She said I was a bad boy,
    His punishment was a Razor strap to the palms of my hands,
    and always I would say.."It's not true, I didn't do it" and
    He always saying that it was going to hurt him
    more than it would hurt me so I guess
    that was love?? He always  took her word,
    and never questioned it, But He did adopt me
    and give me a home
    so there must have been some kind of love huh?
    hahaha..I remember being very young
    and she slammed the car door on one of my fingers.
    I'm yelling in pain asking her to open the door
    and what did she say? "Damn you, now
    I'm going to be late for my hair appointment"
    ...heavy love...LOL
    haha but I survived.

April 1, 2017 9:43 AM MDT

I am truly sorry Baba.  Your words make my heart heavy for the child that you once were.  I am glad you aren't in that situation anymore and you appear to have found a way to cope with the past, along with dealing with the present, in a healthy manner.
      April 1, 2017 9:57 AM MDT

• Not as far as I can remember. My older sister used to read to me when I was little and I owe my love of books to her. 
      March 31, 2017 4:21 PM MDT

No, they only tried to scare me into not wanting to get out of bed at night.
      March 31, 2017 4:40 PM MDT

• I wouldn't call them bedtime stories, they were more like concerned admonitions.
      March 31, 2017 8:22 PM MDT

• That made giggle. )
      April 1, 2017 3:52 AM MDT