Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Do you get lots of Spam on your computer?

Do you get lots of Spam on your computer?

Posted - April 14, 2017

Responses

I've come to the conclusion that there's no way to totally avoid spam. However, I do get some spam in my inbox, but it's bearable.
      April 14, 2017 2:37 PM MDT

I don't think spamming was a thing yet when this laptop was made..
      April 14, 2017 2:46 PM MDT

• I get some but not enough to bother me. Delete Spam and it's gone. Maybe 20 a day at best.
      April 14, 2017 2:53 PM MDT

• Very little. My ISP has a great spam filter.
      April 14, 2017 2:55 PM MDT

None
    Would never open that can of Spam,
    and...
    I have Ad Block Plus
    See no Ads at all, spam either haha.
         Spam in the Email category?
    Used to get 100s a day when I had
    some Web Sites going,
    None of them active right now,
    so no Spam either.
         and...
    am getting no Spam from the Blog,
    So...SPAM FREE

This post was edited by Baba at April 14, 2017 8:30 PM MDT
      April 14, 2017 3:28 PM MDT

Not usually that much.  One or two escape to the Inbox, buy not enough to be irritating.  I find that the less bait click articles you open, the less spam you get.
      April 14, 2017 3:34 PM MDT

• The spam filters are pretty good at managing it.
      April 14, 2017 3:45 PM MDT

i do get the odd spam email from someone soliciting something but other than that. No.
      April 14, 2017 4:53 PM MDT

Unfortunately yes. I made the mistake of entering an online competition once. I can't set the filter too high or I risk missing important stuff.
      April 14, 2017 5:49 PM MDT

Sounds like a distance record to me. Maybe I should wear goggles or open my mouth instead. This post was edited by Zack at April 14, 2017 9:28 PM MDT
      April 14, 2017 6:30 PM MDT

The things I could say to you right now.
      April 14, 2017 6:35 PM MDT

Hey you two...get a room already. LOL
      April 15, 2017 7:44 AM MDT

Not too much, but I have the filters set moderately highly, and good protection software.

I've a bigger irritant, and that is a fairly recent, very underhand, development by my e-mail provider, BTinternet.

When you log on, it asks you if you wish to "Change Settings". This is a 3-setting cookie filter: "Targeting" [sic], "Functional" and "Strictly necessary."  You select, guided by a brief description that appears alongside each, then "Save and Close".

"Targeting" is the default. As well as perhaps 10 supposedly useful things it lets the BT Mail site do, it tells you it "Sends information to other web-sites so that advertising is more relevant". Honest! I've just switched back to read it to quote verbatim. This allegedly valuable feature is not available on the other 2 settings; the ones I want on the service I am paying for.

Worse, it does NOT "save" when you click on "save & close". It leaves it on the default it wants.

I've no idea if the problem is in my PC's security settings, or with the site. If the latter, then either it is faulty or BT is lying.

Earlier this evening I used BT's  "Contact us" to ask how to make MY choice stick. I'm not holding my breath. If I don't have a satisfactory reply I will write to their main business address as well as any supposed customer-service it might have. 
      May 16, 2017 4:49 PM MDT