Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Paranormal » Is it possible to win a staring contest with the abyss?

Is it possible to win a staring contest with the abyss?

Posted - April 17, 2017

Responses

•   April 17, 2017 10:03 AM MDT

• More than once, too (see resurrection)

April 17, 2017 10:28 AM MDT

•   April 17, 2017 10:20 AM MDT

• I would argue that there are no winners...just runner-ups
      April 17, 2017 10:31 AM MDT

• Were you in the Marine Corps, Rooster?
    That resembles that saying for the Marines...
      April 17, 2017 9:12 PM MDT

• No, not the Marines. I was a Green Beret.
      April 18, 2017 6:42 AM MDT

No. cause the abyss is everywhere and has eyes scattered all over this everywhere around you.
      April 17, 2017 10:32 AM MDT

• "State is the name of the coldest of all cold monsters. Coldly it lies; and this lie slips from its mouth: 'I, the state, am the people’. "
      April 17, 2017 10:48 AM MDT

• That is a frightening thought... the cure is to remain positive  :)

April 17, 2017 11:47 AM MDT

• Judas Goat...such a beautiful quote, but in faintness as the bottom, that is Nietzsche...and then his tragic demise... arguably, for him, you could say the monster DID succeed.
      April 17, 2017 9:05 PM MDT

You are wrong...that is dark matter.
      April 17, 2017 1:21 PM MDT

• Dear Judas Goat,
    For me, I would not enter into any kind of contest with the abyss...staring or otherwise.
    I just accept the abyss, go with the inanity as necessary, and pretend my life has meaning, and wonder, and beauty anyway.
      April 17, 2017 9:16 PM MDT

• Beautiful, WW
      April 17, 2017 10:25 PM MDT
  • Huw

I am reminded of a couplet said o be a translation from Immanuel Kant -though I have never found the original in his works. "Two things move my heart with awe; Above, the starry heavens, within the moral law."

There are two kinds of infinite depth -that is the meaning of "abyss" -which, by the way, is one of the very few ancient Sumerian words surviving into the English language. "The starry heavens" represent one kind -to many, suggestive of God and the infinite richness of His creation. The other
    is the utter, endless emptiness of non-being, of death, the wasting of one's life by the rejection of life's creative possibilities -that is, of the "categorical imperative" which is the true meaning of "the moral law." I would call my own reaction to this latter not so much "awe", which for me is inspiring, exciting, moving toward affirmative action, as I would call it "awfulness" -the terror of endlee, pointless deadness.

Pardon my wordiness. Comes from the effort we philosophers cannot resist making in trying to communicate precisely the very fuzzy ideas we are trying to grasp.
      April 18, 2017 10:53 PM MDT

anything is possible, just try it and see
      April 19, 2017 3:31 PM MDT