Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Spunky
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Language » Is "How" more useful than "Why"?

Is "How" more useful than "Why"?

If you don't know how to build something need you ever worry about why it should be built?

Posted - April 29, 2017

Responses

How do you expect me to know?

Wait, that's not right. I'll try again:

Why are you asking me?

That's still not quite it, hmmmmm.

~
      April 29, 2017 11:05 AM MDT

"If you don't know how to build something need you ever worry about why it should be built?"

Who knows the value of how or why, when the significance may lie in what is where?

Seriously though, this is an interesting question.

Some people might approve of the idea of not worrying why something should be built if they didn’t know how to build it. They could claim it would make the world a better place.

How so? Here’s why … or should I say how?

Suppose humanity always embraced the philosophy of not caring WHY something should be built, simply because they didn’t know HOW to make it. Surely, the consequence would be that humans would still be living in caves and swinging through the trees.

Would it come as a surprise if some would think that was a good thing? I don't think so! In their opinion, there would be no overpopulation of our planet, no cars, no pollution, no billionaires, no nuclear warheads, etc etc.

I made this up as I went along …..

How does one ever know why people have loopy ideas?

April 29, 2017 12:47 PM MDT

No, "Why" has never got in the way of "How" and is why we have invention sometimes without purpose and even destructive invention. How is critical when why is nice to know when building structures that can withstand seasonal storms for example. We don't always need to know why something works to know how to make it work.
      April 29, 2017 1:09 PM MDT

It’s general knowledge that if you don’t know HOW to build something, nothing will be built. Simple!

So, it’s a waste of time to ask WHY it should be built!

Do you understand now why I suggested that if humanity always behaved like that, we would still be living in caves.

Your recent comment includes “…we have invention sometimes without purpose and even destructive invention.”

“Sometimes” indeed, but many more times inventions come about because someone has an idea of what is needed, why is it required i.e. “why it should be built”, how it will work and how it can be realised or created.

As for infrastructure, engineers would laugh at the suggestion that the “HOW is critical when the WHY is nice”. They understand exactly all the “hows” and the "whys" when they design a particular structure especially conceived to withstand hurricanes or earthquakes.

Am I missing something here? Perhaps I do in which case, I would really appreciate being enlightened.

April 30, 2017 3:47 AM MDT

it might be
      April 29, 2017 3:44 PM MDT

in the practical world, yes. in the spiritual one, no. but why is also a loaded question that doesn't quite have an answer.. it's something we need to come up with most of the time.
      April 29, 2017 11:47 PM MDT