Active Now

Urban Spaceman
Randy D
Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Should non-Americans be discussing American politics?

Should non-Americans be discussing American politics?

Do not the politics of America have an effect on world politics and world issues? 

To what extent can a foreigner have an input on American politics?

Posted - May 2, 2017

Responses

• Go for it.   While i think it's odd that a foreigner would be interested or have much opinion on internal issue,  I see nothing odd about having strong opinions  on our international policies.

Same goes when Americans have strong opinions about other nations' internal policies.
      May 2, 2017 11:00 AM MDT

• There are certain things you can't know or understand unless you live in the nation in question, that's a fact. 
      May 2, 2017 11:05 AM MDT

• I tend to agree on that.
      May 2, 2017 11:07 AM MDT

• I agree too.  You have to live in a country to fully understand what makes it tick.
      May 2, 2017 11:43 PM MDT

Not with me; I don't discuss American politics at length with foreigners.  A statement or specific question, sure.  But, take for instance, some of the non-Americans on this site seem to have made American politics their favorite subject.  I find most of them miserable and pass on interacting with them. 
      May 2, 2017 11:00 AM MDT

• If I sense the person doesn't know what they're talking about, then I'll pass on interacting with them. But I find that often those people are Americans themselves. It's one thing for a foreigner to discuss international issues, but when they get into the internal issues that they couldn't know about unless living here, then I become a bit skeptical that they truly know what they are talking about. 
      May 2, 2017 11:06 AM MDT

The default on that is an assumption that they do not know what they are talking about.  I'm comfortable with that. 
      May 2, 2017 11:08 AM MDT

• Only if they know what they are talking about.  General assumptions are a sign they don't know squat about the American people or how we feel. 
      May 2, 2017 11:32 AM MDT

There are some here (AM) that know more about American politics than our general population. We affect their countries too. Besides that, they have freedom of speech too.
      May 2, 2017 1:40 PM MDT

I don't mind non-Americans dscussing our politics.  What I mind is non-Americans constantly bashing our country.  If you don't like us that much, stay away.
      May 2, 2017 1:52 PM MDT

Remember Sharon from Australia?
      May 2, 2017 2:18 PM MDT

I do.  She was one of the most miserable people I've ever met.  Couldn't stand her constant anti-American re\ants.
      May 2, 2017 7:35 PM MDT

I think she had most of us blocked because we wouldn't put up with her.
      May 2, 2017 8:46 PM MDT

She definitely had me blocked.
      May 2, 2017 9:35 PM MDT

She blocked and unblocked me on a pretty regular basis.  :)
      May 3, 2017 3:16 AM MDT

She probably left because she didn't have very many people to talk to.
      May 3, 2017 10:14 AM MDT

While I personally don't talk politics here, both for lack of interest and sufficient knowledge, I do believe everyone holds the right to do it, regardless of what country is in question.. but especially the US, giving how they have around 800 military bases around the world, I think it's only fair that the world has opinions about the country that invades them.

May 2, 2017 2:27 PM MDT

i get tired of hearing about it :(
      May 2, 2017 2:30 PM MDT

Discuss, yes. Lecture, no.
      May 2, 2017 3:23 PM MDT

Being an American has never stopped Americans from having opinions about the policies of other countries... So yes, why not.
      May 2, 2017 7:49 PM MDT

America has its hands in virtually every country, which means that our politics affect people from pretty much everywhere. So, yes, I think people from other countries should be free to discuss American politics.

On sites like this, even those who are misinformed should be free to talk. If those misunderstandings are only talked about in whispers or dark alleys, how are we ever going to change them? How can we correct what we don't understand or what we're unwilling to see/ face? We can't. As long as there is discussion, the truth will eventually prevail, and we'll all be better for it.
      May 2, 2017 8:06 PM MDT

• There's discussing politics bearing in mind it's not your country and being respectful and there's constant bashing of the POTUS and the people who voted for him.  Two different things.
      May 2, 2017 11:41 PM MDT

I agree that the latter is in poor taste, but I don't think it should be disallowed. If everything I thought was in poor taste was silenced, it would be a very quiet world and I probably wouldn't have learned have as much as I have.
      May 3, 2017 12:03 AM MDT

Beyond my belief that everyone has a right to their opinions and to express them, American politics have an effect worldwide on a scale beyond any other country.  I generally welcome input from people in other countries, and have met a few online who are more informed regarding our politics than many here are.  I do like to get a variety of perspectives, both from abroad and from those here who hold differing opinions.  

That said, I dislike personal putdowns and painting entire groups of people with a broad brush.  That is true whether it is someone from another country or an American dissing those who hold different political beliefs or support different candidates/issues.  While I believe such namecalling,  stereotyping and assumptions are uncalled for, people have every right to do so.  

As always...JMHO.

May 3, 2017 3:13 AM MDT