Active Now

Spunky
Pet Eater
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » How to feel or develop a 'self'?

How to feel or develop a 'self'?

I feel a lot of who I am or any 'self' was slowly erased and eradicated, mainly due to childhood trauma/abuse ... I am a people pleaser to a fault and while I have many opinions and views, I often just agree with others to make 'peace', to not argue or to not seem domineering. I don't even look people in the eye a lot b/c I feel so much less.. and this hinders me with guys/dating :(  I feel I have no 'self' , no right to stand my ground or to even voice what makes 'me' happy (sometimes I don't even know what makes me happy or that I can obtain real love or happiness). If anyone else has ever felt their self diminish, how did you begin to find it again or build it??

Posted - May 3, 2017

Responses

Self Discovery
    of who you really are
    does wonders for knowing your Self
    and bringing a smile to your face.
         When the ego dissolves
    Who you really are
    can be experienced.
         and all of that other stuff disappears :)

May 3, 2017 7:17 PM MDT

May 3, 2017 7:22 PM MDT

Nice
      May 3, 2017 7:25 PM MDT

Thanks Baba;))
      May 3, 2017 7:28 PM MDT

I urge you to seek professional help with this. If cost is a factor, there are places that offer services on a sliding fee scale based on income. If even this isn't an option, look for a support group. They're free and they're helpful.

What you're describing sounds like a serious emotional/psychological issue. I did find myself in a somewhat similar situation and I believe that seeking the advice and assistance from a professional is your best hope of getting better.
      May 3, 2017 7:29 PM MDT