Discussion » Questions » Language » I asked this question on AB about five years ago: How did the word fag come to mean cigarette and then was transferred to homosexuals?

I asked this question on AB about five years ago: How did the word fag come to mean cigarette and then was transferred to homosexuals?

I didn't get a clear answer.

Posted - May 4, 2017

Responses

• Blame it on the British as the term came from them mostly.

The earliest recorded usage meaning ‘cigarette’ is from 1888, and the word appears to be referring to a meaning of the word ‘fag’ as a piece of loose-hanging material or stuff, in the way a cigarette dangles.
      May 4, 2017 10:58 AM MDT

See answer below :)
      May 4, 2017 11:26 AM MDT

Here in Brit-land a fag is still a cigarette.. there's still the standing joke about making sure we don't use the word fag around Americans or it could cause misunderstanding...  the example being... it's very common to say.. *I'my dying for a fag* = we all know it means a cigarette...but it would be easy to get the wrong end of the stick if an American heard us say that yes?

So we don't use the term here for homosexuals.. we never have... we do now mostly know that Americans use the word to mean homosexual... but I've no idea why you guys chose to term what we call a cigarette something else :P
      May 4, 2017 11:29 AM MDT

• I think both have to do with the original meaning of the term fagot meaning a bundle of sticks.  
      May 4, 2017 11:35 AM MDT

I really never thought of a homosexual as being a bundle of sticks.
      May 4, 2017 12:34 PM MDT

• But they play with "sticks".
      May 4, 2017 2:13 PM MDT

i have no idea, wasnt there when they were doing it
      May 4, 2017 1:55 PM MDT

Interesting, I've heard Steven Fry talk about this type of thing in his interviews.

May 4, 2017 6:03 PM MDT

That would make sense but for one small point - those lowerclassmen were known as "fags" but not "faggots", yet in Britain "faggot" has come to mean a male homosexual and "fag" hasn't.
      May 4, 2017 9:44 PM MDT

"Fanny" and "c**t" are synonymous in Australia, too. One is considered mild profanity, the other is heinous and more offensive than the F-bomb.
    A bit weird when "Fanny" used to be not unusual as a given name - a pet name for Frances or Francine.
      May 4, 2017 11:21 PM MDT

Trump fans get really upset when comedians describe their god's mouth as "Putin's c*ck holster".
      May 4, 2017 11:31 PM MDT

Best answer yet...thanks.
      May 8, 2017 7:38 AM MDT

I don't know the origin of fag for cigarette but since you roll one, I think it being a bundle of something makes sense.
    As for why it went to fag in America, the faggot idea may be true, as although most Brits would not use fag for a gay person only for a cigarette, they will use faggot for a gay person.

I wonder if bumming a fag was heard by an American and they took it the wrong way, when it just means asking for a cigarette when you have none. Then of course you also have "smoking the butt"... yeah no explanation gets clearer does it? O_o

I remember seeing a programme about fundamentalist Christian group or cult in America who held signs up saying We hate fags, in the UK that would be an antismoking campaign, that is the difference in meaning between the UK and America. This post was edited by Pepper Pot at May 5, 2017 6:35 AM MDT
      May 4, 2017 5:35 PM MDT

Faggot (homosexual) comes from faggot (bundle of wood) plus, I suppose, the notion of rubbing 2 sticks together in order to start a fire.

Fag (cigarette butt) comes from 'loose piece of cloth'

I like the descriptions here:
    http://etymonline.com/index.php?term=fag&allowed_in_frame=0 This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at May 5, 2017 11:52 AM MDT
      May 4, 2017 7:47 PM MDT