Active Now

Just Asking
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Christians may not have memorized the Bible but they SHOULD BE FAMILIAR with a few things in it. Shouldn't they?

Christians may not have memorized the Bible but they SHOULD BE FAMILIAR with a few things in it. Shouldn't they?

"Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the Kingdom of God"

"Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless, the FOREIGNER or the POOR."

"Whoever oppresses the poor show contempt for their maker but whoever is kind to the needy honors God"

Is Trump familiar with these simple words? Shouldn't someone tell him?

Posted - May 9, 2017

Responses

Those parts of the bible was forgotten, almost before they were spoken. All sorts of Excuses and justifications for doing the opposite crept in. Try reading in Pauls letters how the communal 'living together and sharing everything' groups went off the rails and needed firm 'correction' and regulation (by Paul).

A common way to express this is the phrase: "The deserving poor", with 'deserving' to be defined by whoever is saying it. This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at May 10, 2017 5:12 AM MDT
      May 9, 2017 9:11 AM MDT

Thank you for your helpful reply JakobA and Happy Wednesday to you m'dear! :) Conveniently "forgotten". Sadly.
      May 10, 2017 5:13 AM MDT

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you: Treat other people with the concern and kindness you would like them to show you, a central ethical teaching of Jesus, often referred to as the Golden Rule.

There's the man in the flesh golden rule: Whoever Has the Gold makes the rules.  Many of their rules are contrary to humanity.
      May 9, 2017 9:35 AM MDT

I have heard that before my friend and sadly it seems to be true. Whoever has the gold makes the rules. I wonder was it always that way? Thank you for your thoughtful answer Beans/SG and  Happy Wednesday to thee! :)
      May 10, 2017 5:14 AM MDT

Its not what you store in your mind that matters, it's what you carry in your heart that's important. :) hugs rosie :D This post was edited by Autumnleaves at May 10, 2017 5:14 AM MDT
      May 9, 2017 11:59 PM MDT

So true my friend! I don't know if you saw it Autumn but I asked a question awhile ago involving you without mentioning you by name. I would never do that unless I received your permission in advance. Anyway I remember so well what you told me once when I was kvetching and moaning and complaining about things that bothered me. You said "why not change your focus from things that bother you to things that don't?" I don't think those were the EXACT words you used but I got the message. Simple. Logical So that's what I try to do. Some days it's so much harder than others but I always remember them so I think its helps mitigate how long I stay down in the dumps! Thank you for your reply! :) ((hugs))
      May 10, 2017 5:19 AM MDT

What Bible is that?  Maybe he read another one.  There are about 5,000 Bibles out there all saying whatever the reader interprets it to mean.

Trump is a clueless human being.   No Bible is going to cover his antics.
      May 10, 2017 12:13 AM MDT

• Are you familiar with the Ten Commandments Rosie?  One of them says "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour".  How many times have you called Trump evil?  How can you possibly know if he is evil, how can you know what is in his heart, how can you make numerous accusations against him which you cannot know if they are true or not?  God is love Rosie! God is love!
      May 10, 2017 12:54 AM MDT

Matt 7:16-20. He's evil.
      May 10, 2017 2:18 AM MDT

:):):)
      May 10, 2017 5:20 AM MDT

I was a Sunday School teacher Yogafan. Were you? I KNOW God is love. Your mentioning God and Trump in the same response is blasphemous to me personally. Trump is the scum of the earth. Whether you recognize it/admit it or not is immaterial to me. I say what I believe to be true. Trump lies every day in every way about everything. If you don't realize that then I have been overestimating you. That, of course, would not be  your fault. It would be my fault entirely.Please don't lecture me about God. I talk to HIM daily and have since I can remember. I don't know if you only talk the talk or also walk the walk but attacking me for telling the truth is NOT a Christian thing to do. You should know that.
      May 10, 2017 5:11 AM MDT

He also seems to be unfamiliar with a famous inscription at the feet of a Lady whom his penthouse suite in New York faces:
    "Give me your tired, your poor
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free 
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me 
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Seems to be a fair description of Syrian refugees, frankly.
      May 10, 2017 2:27 AM MDT

I know. Those words are haunting and taunt don't they? Trump is getting more desperate each day..desperate to find ways to divert attention from the ever-growing scandal of how long Trump and  his minions have been in bed with Putin? He fires Comey so the headlines will focus on that and not his corrupt administration. Doofus Donny  surely is the scum of the earth. Thank you for your reply Sbf and Happy Wednesday! :) This post was edited by RosieG at May 10, 2017 5:07 AM MDT
      May 10, 2017 5:06 AM MDT