Active Now

my2cents
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » If Bush didn't invade Iraq would Trump be prez?

If Bush didn't invade Iraq would Trump be prez?

Would terrorism be the behemoth juggernaut it is today? How? Without terrorism as his shield why would anyone have taken Trump seriously? He said he knew more than the generals. He said he had a plan to take out ISIS. With neither of those claims to make would his only schtick be DRAIN THE SWAMP AND LOCK HER UP?

Posted - May 21, 2017

Responses

9/11 happened before Iraq. So did Gaddafi, the PLO, Hamas and Hezbollah. Terrorism has been with us a long time, and had little effect on the election.
    Apathy and a system gerrymandered to hell got Trump elected. Trump got his votes out, Clinton didn't. She got the popular vote but not where it counted, due to the gerrymander - and a lot of voters didn't take Trump seriously,  thought Hillary was a slam dunk (as she should have been), so didn't bother to turn up and vote. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at May 26, 2017 8:41 AM MDT
      May 21, 2017 9:03 AM MDT

So unlike others you don't think the Bush war of choice based on a lie exacerbated terrorism and pumped it up a zillionfold? Okey dokey Sbf. Bush invaded a country for no reason. People didn't like it. Some decided to do something about it so recruitment increased. Had Bush not done that you are saying the situation we have today terrorism-wise would be the same?  Mebbe so..mebbe no. Thank you for your reply Sbf.
      May 22, 2017 10:47 AM MDT

• Resistance to the realities of why Trump is president seems to be huge indeed. The only, and I mean only, reason that Trump is president is because he is not Hillary Clinton. That was the only thing that recommended him. That was the prime reason that people bought into it all. The proverbial choice between a rock and a hard place. It's reminiscent of the story Lincoln told about the boy who stubbed his toe. The kid said that he was too big to cry, but it hurt far too much to laugh. My own feeling about it is that we usually get exactly what we ask for in elections. This one was no exception. Americans created these two monstrosities that appeared on the ballot and we are richly deserving of either or both. As for Bush, if he was capable of all the capricious acts that he is credited with, he would still be president today. Anyone that can control the weather and global climate, could certainly sidestep the rule of law and remain in office forever.
      May 21, 2017 9:05 AM MDT

Bush lied us into an unnecessary war and we invaded a country  for no reason. The people didn't like that and so recruitment increased of those young people who wanted to fight back and do to us what we did to them and America was used as the poster child. Reason enough. I don't know about controlling weather and global climate  vis a vis George  W. Bush. I do KNOW however that we could have done without invading Iraq and perhaps our world would be less fraught with anger and danger and terrorists and hatred and misery and death. Of course we cannot KNOW. We can suppose and opine and  guess. Thank you for your reply driftwood and Happy Monday! :)
      May 22, 2017 10:52 AM MDT

Then again, France didn't take part in Iraq, and has had a lot of terrorist attacks. I believe it was a Conservative MP who was pointing that out on Radio 5 Live this afternoon. Strictly speaking, he is an ex-MP, as parliament is dissolved, pending the election.
      May 26, 2017 8:35 AM MDT

i dont think anyone can really know that
      May 21, 2017 3:35 PM MDT

My opinion is, if mental health services were better in the USA, Trump wouldn't be president.
      May 22, 2017 8:30 AM MDT

Touche Harry! Touche bigtime. SIGH. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday to thee! :)
      May 22, 2017 10:44 AM MDT