Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Zack
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » How come in the 70s geniuses told us the population boom would be our ruin but now today no one gives a d*mn about it? Are we looking

How come in the 70s geniuses told us the population boom would be our ruin but now today no one gives a d*mn about it? Are we looking

perhaps to a population recession?  Do governments know we are in for a population reduction? The human race will not survive the next 100 years without intervention.

Posted - May 27, 2017

Responses

Maybe people have just gotten tired of all the doomsayers and "the sky is falling" crap..
      May 27, 2017 6:34 PM MDT

Explain "Global Warming" then.
      May 27, 2017 6:45 PM MDT

I'm just saying the doomsayers ruin everything, like with the y2k and 2012 idiocy. It's kinda like the boy who cried wolf. People eventually stop listening and when the wolf really does show up people would just be like "yeah, whatever."
      May 27, 2017 7:02 PM MDT

• Over-population is  myth. The real problem is over utilization of resources by a small handful of countries & entities  This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at May 27, 2017 7:16 PM MDT
      May 27, 2017 7:15 PM MDT

The population is growing exponentially. Thats all I have to say.
      May 27, 2017 7:52 PM MDT

Times and people change. Nothing stays the same.
      May 27, 2017 8:02 PM MDT

According to scientists, you can fit the entire human race, standing shoulder-to-shoulder, on the island of Maui.
      May 27, 2017 9:47 PM MDT

There is a reduction in the growth rate but the world population level is increasing and that will continue to do so for at least the rest of this century according to the UN.

World population

Year       Level (billion)            Growth Rate(%)

1950        2.5                         1.8

1970        3.7                         2.1

2000        6.0                         1.3

2017        7.5                         1.1

2100       11.2                         0.1

https://ourworldindata.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/updated-World-Population-Growth-1750-2100.png

Could it be that the geniuses in the 70s anticipated a reduction in working population which equates to a reduction of contributions to the pension pot?
    Consequently, by the time the baby boomers of the 60s and 70s begin drawing their pensions, there could be a severe shortfall.

May 28, 2017 3:00 AM MDT

No, they were not that far-sighted. They merely extrapolated trends to ridiculous ends. So much for genius. Any wild card or unpredictable event throws all models off that do not allow or account for x factors which HISTORY SHOWS always occur. Yes, I'm using an absolute. Why? God is a factor and it is God that uses absolutes. All things will be according to his will. This post was edited by O-uknow at May 28, 2017 7:51 PM MDT
      May 28, 2017 7:49 PM MDT

Your reaction to my answers is just priceless. The first word inevitably seems to be an unconditional "NO"!
    Mind you, that’s fine with me except that it seems to be a natural reflex not really inviting a friendly exchange. Whatever floats your boat!

Overpopulation: “…today no-one gives a d*mn about it!” Incorrect!
    Just google “Effects of overpopulation.”, you’ll find that there are plenty of people who do care.

You state: “Are we looking perhaps to a population recession? Do governments know we are in for a population reduction?”
    My answer was clear but re-phrasing it, it sounds like this.

No, we are not looking at a population recession and, no, governments do not know that we are in for a population reduction because there is no reduction expected in several decades to come.

Valid reasons why increasing population numbers could very well cause problems for us are …. depletion of natural resources, degradation of environment, conflicts & wars, rising pollution levels, etc etc all of which could amount to potential problems of catastrophic proportions for the human race!

I also submitted my case why you seem to be misinterpreting officially published numbers.
    History shows an exponential increase since the industrial revolution. Indicators show an increasing world population … from today’s 7.5 billion to over 12 billion by the end of the century. The forecast for a decrease in the “growth rate” during the same period does not reduce total number of humans on the planet.

No sane person could possibly argue with the assertion that a “wildcard” or an “unpredictable event” will be likely to affect any predictions! That is perfectly obvious so, what are you saying? That the “geniuses” should have predicted the un-predictable?

Finally, although I would prefer to ignore your reference to a god because it is totally irrelevant to this discussion, I find it quite interesting that you’re seem to blame god for everything, all the misery, the pain, wars and even overpopulation on our planet as well as presumably our doom.
      May 29, 2017 10:31 AM MDT

Read a little more about the idea of a one-world-order.
      May 28, 2017 3:32 PM MDT

not sure why
      May 28, 2017 4:52 PM MDT