Active Now

Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » What makes one version of the Bible more accurate then another?

What makes one version of the Bible more accurate then another?

Posted - May 30, 2017

Responses

• Faithfulness to the original Hebrew or Greek. That's really all that matters. Some translations try to be more literal, some have more research behind them, some are more stylized into modern English. The KJV is so praised, and it is beautiful Jacobean English, but it is not necessarily the most accurate translation. When examining the Bible I usually use an interlinear translation so I can see the original language with the English and see how things are translated (my knowledge of Greek helps with the NT too).

May 30, 2017 10:34 AM MDT

Being able to read Greek is a true benefit when translating the Bible.
    Many translations have been done so  people can understand it better because versions like the KJ version is hard to understand for some people.
    The problem with that is that if it is not properly translated, words and meaning get changed that shouldn't be.
      May 30, 2017 11:22 AM MDT

• Nevan B. Although I have little knowledge of Greek, I too use an interlinear translation to dig deeper.
      June 5, 2017 1:04 PM MDT

Belief.
      May 30, 2017 10:42 AM MDT

I am really sorry, I truly don't want to offend anyone but in my opinion none of them are accurate...all are just stories.
      May 30, 2017 10:58 AM MDT

Many are not accurate because the translations get changed to how the translator sees it.
      May 30, 2017 11:25 AM MDT

• Adaydreambeliever, what you're saying isn't at all offensive. Whether or not a person's opinion is right or wrong is irrelevant. The beauty of it is that we are able and free to voice our opinions.
      June 5, 2017 1:14 PM MDT

god does
      May 30, 2017 11:54 AM MDT

And which one does God pick as being the most accurate?
      May 30, 2017 12:16 PM MDT

probably all of them
      May 30, 2017 12:38 PM MDT

That presumes that any translations are accurate. :)
      May 30, 2017 1:03 PM MDT

No not really.
    Some people believe that some translations are more accurate then others.
      May 30, 2017 1:14 PM MDT

Let me clarify.  How do you know that whoever wrote the initial version of biblical text, and there were many who did, were accurate.  Each of us may see or read a particular thing and each of us may interpret it diffrently, so which of us is accurate?
      May 30, 2017 1:23 PM MDT

Beats me, I have no idea which version is the most accurate.
    People interpret it with their own understanding.
    I do think that before someone claims that their version is the most accurate. should do some research on who wrote it.
      May 30, 2017 1:45 PM MDT

I think they should take into consideration that those who wrote it were not as learned as we are today.  Turning water into wine?  Jonah being swallowed by a whale?  Noah taking two of every animal on an ark?  Really?
      May 30, 2017 6:01 PM MDT

If you read almost any translation of the bible---and at the same time request the Holy Spirit guide you to discover how what you are reading is intended to apply to you---it's hard not to see things coming together in meaning. This post was edited by tom jackson at May 30, 2017 1:14 PM MDT
      May 30, 2017 1:08 PM MDT

That is true if you believe that the Bible was inspired by the Holy Spirit.
      May 30, 2017 1:16 PM MDT

But if what I say is true, it doesn't matter whether or not anyone believe it---it will still be true.

One of the dangers of living is that you may come across the truth at any time---even if the timing for confronting it is not convenient. 

WC Fields said, “Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.” 
      May 30, 2017 1:32 PM MDT

That is true.
      May 30, 2017 1:46 PM MDT

As Nevan stated, keeping true to the meaning in the original language is key.  There are a multitude of resources available to those who wish to compare the original to the translations.

I see people debate the meaning of particular verses and argue over which translation is best.  I study the Bible and used to take part in those debates myself.  Ultimately, man has no definitive proof that any one interpretation is the correct interpretation, or that God even exists, for that matter.  Believers will simply never come to a consensus on translations or interpretations.  

That said, for Christians who truly follow Christ, I have come to the conclusion that it really doesn't matter.  Three times, in Matthew, Mark, and Luke, the only thing we really need to know is clearly stated.  It is worded such that I can see no difference in the meaning regardless of which translation is used.  'Love God with all your being, and love your neighbor as yourself.'  This is again stressed in John, though a bit differently, but again, I can see no difference in the meaning among different versions.  'Love each other, as I have loved you.'  

Obviously, I speak from a Christian standpoint, but I can only speak for myself, so as always...JMHO
      May 30, 2017 1:47 PM MDT

You are right Boz. The law of love is all we really need to know.
      May 30, 2017 2:12 PM MDT

Thank you, WW.  
      May 30, 2017 3:49 PM MDT

*than*

translation
      May 30, 2017 3:04 PM MDT

• This translation is direct from god...

http://www.lolcatbible.com/index.php?title=Main_Page
      May 30, 2017 7:57 PM MDT