Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Transportation » Would carpooling to and from work every day be a viable option for you? If you previously or currently do it, what are your thoughts about carpooling?

Would carpooling to and from work every day be a viable option for you? If you previously or currently do it, what are your thoughts about carpooling?

I can't commit to it; I work varying hours and can't be pinned down to specific entry and exit times. ~

Posted - July 18, 2016

Responses

I would never consider it.  I work alone.  I am not getting up early in the morning only to have to get up earlier to pick up someone else.  NO.  Not ever doing it.

Unless I happened to work with someone I am close to, as in a good friend,  it is not happening.

July 18, 2016 9:03 AM MDT

Lol, that's funny: get up early to get up earlier to pick someone up! Lol!

S: "Wh...wha...what time is it? Wait, I should be able to sleep for another 45 minutes, but nooooooo; I have to drive halfway across creation to that scallywag's house and drive into work with him. Can someone tell me again why I agreed to take part in this social fiasco in the first place? I'm sure I was Randolph's last resort, no one else can stand him. I can barely tolerate him online, but to spend morning AND evening rush hour in the same car is brutal. At least he's not into small-talk, and he's not a back-seat driver. What am I saying? Yes he is! He thinks he knows everything. BRU! TAL!"

{Meanwhile, on the other side of town.}

RD: "Where IS that woman? I'm going to be late, I just know it. I told her to switch all of her clocks to military time, but do you think she listened? Of course not! What else is new? I need my head examined for letting her rope me into this quagmire of hers."
    *Tap, tap, tap, tap.

~
      August 18, 2017 5:36 AM MDT

• "No" ... carpooling is a day-shifter's endeavor. I worked the night shift, most of my career, so know little about that strategy.
      October 3, 2016 8:14 AM MDT

There are road-signs around my part of the world exhorting car-sharing (though not pooling), but I don't think many take up the idea pretty much for reasons given above. Even if the passengers are a bit more sociable and live a bit nearer the driver's direct commuting route than Randy's friend! 

My employment was on flexible hours so car-sharing would have been difficult, although a few colleagues managed it; and of course if your own car was off the road for a while there was usually someone able and willing to give you lifts, but as a general practice, no. 

Even if you do share lifts regularly there will be times when it won't be practical - one of you may need to visit someone or do a load of shopping on your way home, for example, somewhere off normal route or between your places of work and normal meeting.
      October 19, 2016 8:14 AM MDT