Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Have you every taken prescribed opioids? How did you react?

Have you every taken prescribed opioids? How did you react?

I took one after wrist surgery and it did nothing...no pain relief, no buzz. Four Ibuprofins worked for the pain and vodka worked for the buzz.

Posted - June 1, 2017

Responses

no but ive taken codeine and tylenol before
      June 1, 2017 10:43 AM MDT

Codeine is an opioid. The mildest one.
      June 1, 2017 5:42 PM MDT

I don't seem to respond to prescribed pain killers.  Advil worked better.  I took codeine once for a toothache before I could get to the dentist, and it felt like someone had sheared off the top of my head.  Never took them again.
      June 1, 2017 10:56 AM MDT

Advil is Ibuprofin only much more expensive.
      June 1, 2017 2:51 PM MDT

I use Target's brand.  I used it as some may have confused it with Tylenol.
      June 1, 2017 9:57 PM MDT

When I broke both my arms last September, I was on Dilaudid in the hospital and OxyContin while in transitional care. I don't remember all that much.  I know I still had pain, but it's hard to know how much pain there would have been without the drugs.
      June 1, 2017 11:31 AM MDT

I took oxycontin for pain after an operation, didn't seem to dull the pain but made me drowsy enough to fall asleep despite the pain.

I occasionally get legs and feet cramping during the night -I take about 3 grams of kratom for relief. Kratom is a mild opioid you  can  buy legally without prescription. 
      June 1, 2017 3:31 PM MDT

For several years, due to chronic sciatica from a ruptured disc. Started with codeine, then had to keep ramping it up as I developed a tolerance. Tramadol, oxycodone, endone and finally methadone. Without it I couldn't function, with it I could at least get around a bit (with the aid of a cane) and sleep at night. There was one week I was deprived of it - I didn't sleep that week due to the pain, towards the end of it I was hallucinating.
    I was hooked up to a morphine drip while in the hospital but don't remember that bit clearly - I was semi-comatose and by the time I was lucid again the machine was gone. The discectomy and fusion gave me my life back - within a week I was off the drugs, within two I was running again. I still have bowel problems and gingivitis due to the long-term addiction. I'm due to have an operation on my haemorrhoids soon (opioids cause bad constipation and thus my rectum prolapsed slightly). My teeth are also shot.
      June 1, 2017 5:53 PM MDT

Dang bro...you've been through a lot. My Doc prescribed me some Tramadol. I took one and the the wife and I came home from a early morning job she practically had to carry me into the house. I never took it again. I need a third opinion about getting a fusion...two Docs said it was bad enough that they wouldn't do it.
      June 2, 2017 7:18 AM MDT