Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Assuming both are truth what is more important? Intention or perception? Because?

Assuming both are truth what is more important? Intention or perception? Because?

Posted - June 8, 2017

Responses

Intention. Accidents are accidents, they happen despite you. If you intend to cause damage and do, that's more culpable.
      June 8, 2017 6:44 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply Sbf! What happens when your intentions are bad but things turn out exceedingly well? How often does anyone benefit from someone else's bad intentions? :)
      June 9, 2017 4:38 AM MDT

Perception because you may have the best of intentions when you do or say something, but if it's interpreted the opposite way, then it appears your intentions were not honorable.
      June 8, 2017 9:34 PM MDT

There are those who will always ascribe bad motive to you whether t'is true or untrue.  Their perceptions are locked in opposition to anything you do and they will never be open to anything else. That describes American politics vis a vis  Dems and Republicans. Probably many other things too. SIGH. Thank you for your reply Spunky and Happy Friday! :)
      June 9, 2017 4:41 AM MDT

I agree, Rosie.  I guess I was answering from the perspective of someone who is unknown to you.  Also, it applies especially on the Internet.  When we're face-to-face, we see body language, facial expressions, etc. and we can judge more accurately what's behind the spoken word.  It's a little difficult to judge on the Internet as you're judging somewhat in a vacuum although there are some statements which can only be interpreted one way.
      June 9, 2017 8:11 AM MDT

EXCELLENT point sweetie! In person you can see whether the person is shifty-eyed and won't look you in the eye. You can see grimaces and smirks and twitches and ticks. Also you don't know if the person on the other end is a phony baloney or the real deal. You might think you're talking to a peer agewise of the same gender. Could be the exact opposite with the other personal playing a role.Now if you chat with folks long enough and pay attention you can detect the deceit sometimes. If they keep you different stories about the same things. But there is absolutely nothing as good as being face-to-face. We do our best to be honest and accurate. We can only hope others are doing the same! Thank you for your reply Spunky and Happy Saturday! :)
      June 10, 2017 3:36 AM MDT

That's the truth, Rosie.  I have no need to make myself appear to be anything I'm not, but there are those who do.  Eventually, people catch on to their dishonesty. 
      June 10, 2017 10:27 AM MDT

probably intention
      June 10, 2017 4:48 PM MDT