Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Environment » We are living right in the middle of infinity. Isn't it a bit odd that we are the only life forms living in it?

We are living right in the middle of infinity. Isn't it a bit odd that we are the only life forms living in it?

In this context, infinity equals outer space.

Posted - June 10, 2017

Responses

How do you know we're the only ones living in it though?
      June 10, 2017 8:36 AM MDT

You answered a question with a question, but thanks anyway.
      June 10, 2017 8:37 AM MDT

It would be odd if we are the only living species in an infinite universe. But to really find out if we are we will need to explore most (or all) of it. Sofar we dont even know if there is life on Mars ;-))
      June 10, 2017 8:41 AM MDT

I suspect that the earth is the only planet with life in the flesh on it. The Bible seems to really be silent on it though. I don't think that everything here that it takes to sustain life just happened by accident. 

(Psalm 115:16) As for the heavens, they belong to Jehovah, But the earth he has given to the sons of men.
    (Genesis 1:28) Further, God blessed them, and God said to them: “Be fruitful and become many, fill the earth and subdue it, and have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and every living creature that is moving on the earth.”
    (Psalm 37:29) The righteous will possess the earth, And they will live forever on it.
    (Isaiah 45:18) For this is what Jehovah says, The Creator of the heavens, the true God, The One who formed the earth, its Maker who firmly established it, Who did not create it simply for nothing, but formed it to be inhabited: “I am Jehovah, and there is no one else.

[. Are laws made by accident? What intelligent planning exists in regard to our earth! The sun’s distance from the earth is just right. The moon’s distance from the earth is just right. The earth is tilted on its axis just right. The mixture of gases is just right. The relationship between plants and animals is just right. What infinite wisdom is behind that cycle in nature! Animals take in oxygen, exhale it again combined in carbon dioxide while plants take in carbon dioxide and exhale oxygen. An accident? Unthinkable!
    How obvious that the earth was prepared for man! Said one medical authority: “There are probably a thousand conditions which would have to be fulfilled before man could inhabit the earth. Not only must there be light, many kinds of food, water, proper atmosphere, appropriate temperature, the nitrogen cycle, etc., but there are hundreds of chemical reactions in the body which contribute to man’s life processes. The chance that all conditions for life would have been fulfilled by pure chance is one in billions. It is very evident that the earth was prepared for man. This fact alone proves the existence of a conscious God.”—The Physician Examines the Bible, p. 318.]
      June 10, 2017 9:39 AM MDT

"There is no middle of infinity because infinity is an value that cannot be calculated or expressed in numerical form" and "Infinity is a concept, not a number."

I know you defined infinity in context in your question.  I posted the two comments above to emphasize something slightly different.

Namely, that all that exists is not necessarily perceptible to our senses---and I am not talking about the "supernatural."

I am quite comfortable with the possibility that there are other "modes of being" that may have life forms somehow equivalent to ours; I am also comfortable that we may be the only creations similar to us.

June 10, 2017 9:52 AM MDT

yes but you never know, there could be other life forms
      June 10, 2017 12:54 PM MDT

there could be other life forms, you never know
      June 10, 2017 12:55 PM MDT