Active Now

Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Finance » Some actors and actresses say they knowingly accepted a bad role but for financial reasons. How does a bomb benefit their bottom line? ~

Some actors and actresses say they knowingly accepted a bad role but for financial reasons. How does a bomb benefit their bottom line? ~

I'm referring specifically to interviews after the movie or TV show has bombed and they're making excuses as to why they took the role in the first place, even when it stunk up the joint when they read the script. 

It seems counterintuitive. 

Posted - June 11, 2017

Responses

Bombs cannot BE bombs until they BOMB.  The actor is not bombing yet just because he signed up for a future crappy film.  The actor is hoping that some boring crappy film will catch on and he will bank money and keep his name in lights.

Seldom in someone's career have there only been hits on his resume'.     Some like to slum it and make a quick buck and they are so secure, they know a bad film or two is not going to ruin them. 

It is indeed sad if someone like Samuel L. Jackson makes a turkey, it is because he was financially strapped.  Or needs extra cash.    Really, Sam?  What did you do with all your money that still should be paying out in royalties aplenty? This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 11, 2017 12:59 PM MDT
      June 11, 2017 11:59 AM MDT

Thank you. 
    I'm referring specifically to interviews after the movie or TV show has bombed and they're making excuses as to why they took the role. 

~
      June 11, 2017 12:13 PM MDT

I have edited the description field to clarify. 
    ~
      June 11, 2017 12:26 PM MDT

lol Excellent example. "Snakes on a Plane." Worst. Movie. Ever.

I don't think a single bomb hurts them in the long run. With celebs, their identity is their "brand." When McDonalds brought out bratwurst in select markets, did McDonalds tank irreparably? No. When Pepsi tried Crystal Clear Pepsi for a while, did people start hating Pepsi? No. These are big brands, and, whether you appreciate them for the reasons others do or not, the fact still stands that the brands have grown big and strong because people love them for what they do best. Think of Gigli. Anyone remember that? Probably not. Jennifer Lopez focused on music after. Ben Affleck went back to more action/ drama after. Now, if Ben and Jen had kept making movies like Gigli, yeah, they would have tanked, but they didn't. They were smart and went back to their strengths.

Actors take on projects for all kinds of reasons. Some do pet projects because they're interested in developing more as an actor, or because a subject is important to them, and so on. The little odd projects tend to fade into obscurity, so long as they go back to representing the brand identity they've created for themselves.
      June 11, 2017 1:46 PM MDT

maybe they just needed the money
      June 11, 2017 3:30 PM MDT

When a Journalist stick his mike in your face, you have to say something.
      June 11, 2017 5:48 PM MDT

Yeah, that falls under 'celebrity news' which I just can't make time for.
      June 11, 2017 11:21 PM MDT