Active Now

Element 99
Slartibartfast
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Are unanswered prayers proof God doesn't exist?

Are unanswered prayers proof God doesn't exist?

Posted - July 19, 2016

Responses

nope. No more than something happening that you prayed for is proof that god does exist.

July 19, 2016 5:46 AM MDT

July 19, 2016 6:47 AM MDT

No.. Sometimes the Answer of God is  NO.. 

And sometimes God will not answer a person who has rejected His Word..

July 19, 2016 7:15 AM MDT

Nope
    Not at all
      July 19, 2016 8:21 AM MDT

• I've been sending you friends requests that you haven't answered to. Does that mean you don't exist?

July 19, 2016 8:57 AM MDT

Adam.

July 19, 2016 8:59 AM MDT

Praying is like feeling sorry for someone; does nothing to help them.

Just try to think positive for inspiration what to do.
      July 19, 2016 9:08 AM MDT

lol  could be

July 19, 2016 9:13 AM MDT

Which god ?

July 19, 2016 9:15 AM MDT

No. He's there. I cant tell you how you can find him though. If you want to find him you will.
      July 19, 2016 9:21 AM MDT

no but sure makes one doubt  Gods existence.

July 19, 2016 9:23 AM MDT

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2009010?q=%22Why+Do+Some+Prayers+Go+Unanswered%22&p=par

Why Do Some Prayers Go Unanswered?

God is very approachable. Just as a loving father is glad to have his children speak freely with him, Jehovah God welcomes our prayers. At the same time, like any wise father, God has good reasons for not answering some requests. Are his reasons mysterious, or does he reveal something about them in the Bible?

The apostle John explains: “This is the confidence that we have toward him, that, no matter what it is that we ask according to his will, he hears us.” (1 John 5:14) Our requests must be in harmony with God’s will. Some pray for things that are clearly not God’s will—to win the lottery, for example, or to win a bet. Others pray with improper motives. The disciple James warns against such abuse of prayer, saying: “You do ask, and yet you do not receive, because you are asking for a wrong purpose, that you may expend it upon your cravings for sensual pleasure.”—James 4:3.

Imagine, for example, that both sides in a soccer game pray to win. God can hardly be expected to respond to such conflicting prayers. The same can be said about modern-day warfare when opposing sides pray for victory.

Those who show contempt for God’s law pray in vain. Jehovah once felt compelled to say to hypocritical worshippers: “Even though you make many prayers, I am not listening; with bloodshed your very hands have become filled.” (Isaiah 1:15) The Bible says: “He that is turning his ear away from hearing the law—even his prayer is something detestable.”—Proverbs 28:9.

On the other hand, Jehovah will always listen to the sincere prayers of worshippers who are doing their best to serve him according to his will. Does that mean, though, that he will grant their every request? No. Consider some Scriptural examples.

Moses had an exceptionally close relationship with God; yet, he too had to ask “according to [God’s] will.” Contrary to God’s stated purpose, Moses begged for permission to enter the land of Canaan: “Let me pass over, please, and see the good land that is across the Jordan.” But previously, because of his sin, Moses was told that he would not enter that land. So now, instead of granting Moses’ request, Jehovah told him: “That is enough of you! Never speak to me further on this matter.”—Deuteronomy 3:25, 26; 32:51.

The apostle Paul prayed for relief from what he called his “thorn in the flesh.” (2 Corinthians 12:7) This “thorn” may refer to a chronic eye affliction or to the constant harassment of opposers and “false brothers.” (2 Corinthians 11:26; Galatians 4:14, 15) Paul wrote: “I three times entreated the Lord that it might depart from me.” However, God knew that if Paul continued preaching despite this nagging “thorn in the flesh,” it would clearly demonstrate God’s power and Paul’s implicit trust in Him. So rather than grant Paul’s request, God told him: “My power is being made perfect in weakness.”—2 Corinthians 12:8, 9.

Yes, God knows better than we do whether granting certain requests is in our best interests. Jehovah always responds for our good, in harmony with his loving purposes recorded in the Bible.

Cited scriptures:

(1 John 5:14) And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that no matter what we ask according to his will, he hears us.
    (James 4:3) When you do ask, you do not receive because you are asking for a wrong purpose, so that you may spend it on your fleshly desires.
    (Isaiah 1:15) And when you spread out your palms, I hide my eyes from you. Although you offer many prayers, I am not listening; Your hands are filled with blood.
    (Proverbs 28:9) The one refusing to listen to the law —Even his prayer is detestable.
    (Deuteronomy 3:25, 26) Please let me pass over and see the good land that is across the Jordan, this good mountainous region and Lebʹa·non.’ 26 But Jehovah was still furious with me because of you, and he would not listen to me. Rather, Jehovah said to me, ‘Enough from you! Never speak to me again about this matter.
    (Deuteronomy 32:51) because both of you were unfaithful to me among the Israelites at the waters of Merʹi·bah of Kaʹdesh in the wilderness of Zin, because you did not sanctify me before the people of Israel.
    (2 Corinthians 12:7) just because of receiving such extraordinary revelations. To keep me from becoming overly exalted, I was given a thorn in the flesh, an angel of Satan, to keep slapping me, so that I might not be overly exalted.
    (2 Corinthians 11:26) in journeys often, in dangers from rivers, in dangers from robbers, in dangers from my own people, in dangers from the nations, in dangers in the city, in dangers in the wilderness, in dangers at sea, in dangers among false brothers,
    (Galatians 4:14, 15) And though my physical condition was a trial for you, you did not treat me with contempt or disgust; but you received me like an angel of God, like Christ Jesus. 15 Where is that happiness you had? For I bear you witness that, if it had been possible, you would have gouged out your eyes and given them to me.
    (2 Corinthians 12:8, 9) Three times I begged the Lord about this, that it would depart from me. 9 But he said to me: “My undeserved kindness is sufficient for you, for my power is being made perfect in weakness.” Most gladly, then, I will boast about my weaknesses, in order that the power of the Christ may remain over me like a tent.

July 19, 2016 9:29 AM MDT

The absence of proof that god exists is proof that god doesn't exist. Think about that.

July 19, 2016 9:39 AM MDT

You're obviously unfamiliar with the concept of "telling it in a nutshell."

July 19, 2016 9:40 AM MDT

I didn't know that you live in a shell? Lol

Seriously, I gave the answer in hopes that someone sincere may see it.

July 19, 2016 9:51 AM MDT

Yes.  That fake God you made up in your head is screaming at you that it is NOT GOD.

The Real GOD is waiting patiently for his child to realize that God is like your Eternal Father and Mother and does what is best for the child.    Just because we rant and rave doesn't mean that is why we are on this planet.  We are not here to attain physical rewards.  Those are nice.  We are here to grow spiritually and sometimes that can be the hardest and most hurtful lesson of all.   That is, until we get it.

July 19, 2016 9:53 AM MDT

texas.  No one read this.  Just reminding you. 

July 19, 2016 9:54 AM MDT

I appreciate reminders coming in a nice manner like this. I know that most don't read my comments especially when they are long. That being said, I also know that some do. I've had several thank me for some of my post and most on my friends list have thanked me for a post prior to friend requesting me.

Most do not know what the Bible really says, even most claiming to be Christian don't know as they rely on paid preachers to tell them. 

For example, most think that the Bible teaches that God will torture people forever in a literal hell fire and that has scared some 'Christians' and turned some away from God. Isn't it loving to show that the loving God of the Bible does not do that?

http://answermug.com/forum/topics/hell-fire-is-there-anything-more-heinous-than-a-god-that-would

July 19, 2016 10:18 AM MDT

Jesus the True Vine

He says
    …"If anyone does not remain in Me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers. Such branches are gathered up, thrown into the fire, and burned."

"If you remain in Me and My words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.This is to My Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, proving yourselves to be My disciples.…"John 15:7

July 19, 2016 10:39 AM MDT

Again, you and your self-fulfilling prophecy. Biblical verse, which was written by humans to justify and sell the concept of religion and god, is not objective proof of anything. Claiming it as such is circular logic.
      July 19, 2016 1:17 PM MDT

LOL, Stu , well said.
      July 20, 2016 11:02 AM MDT

I agree.
      July 20, 2016 11:02 AM MDT

Yay, Rah Ra, Woo Hoo!

July 20, 2016 6:43 PM MDT

Thanks Tex many people appreciate seeing what the bible has to say, since they view it as the word of God and the last word on a question like. Unlike others that have a high opinion on what they feel the bible is unparalleled for it's wisdom and good direction.

July 21, 2016 5:52 AM MDT