Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Electronics » Do you think that electonics limit our human ability to be personalble with people in our daily lives?

Do you think that electonics limit our human ability to be personalble with people in our daily lives?

building Personal friendships or able to help hands on with others. With updated technology such as most used today computers, game systems and phones in hands instead.

Posted - June 12, 2017

Responses

definitely, i remember yrs ago when noone was into the computer much i actually used to have people to hang out with, i miss that
      June 12, 2017 12:49 PM MDT

I admit I haven't kept up with technology, and i admit I am biased. But for all its benefits, I do believe there are important aspects of technology that potentially damage inter-personal relationships.

For instance, I've heard of more than one higher education university offer an Early Childhood Education degree - - completely online. I then wonder just when the university student will actually see and talk with a real child, in person, in the same room at the same time. This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 12, 2017 8:31 PM MDT
      June 12, 2017 6:03 PM MDT

I've never been a people person, so it doesn't really bother me much.
      June 12, 2017 7:24 PM MDT

No, electronics does not, but certain items of electronic equipment tempt their owners into relying on them far too much, instead of using them as a tool to help their real-life, lives.

It's easy to sit here rather smugly chatting on computers, so-called "smart" phones etc about how bad it is that they isolate people, but that's not the fault of the equipment. We choose to do that; but prior to coming on here for fun and to chat to people in other countries, I was using the e-post system for matters supporting one of several real-world hobby clubs to which I belong actively.

It's entirely the fault of those people who want to isolate themselves; and they are egged on by dim-witted, narrow-minded, ovine, metro-centric "lifestyle" (eugh!) columnists who belong to the Great Family We-all; writing pretentious piffle like, 'Now we all live our lives on-line' .... while "consuming" [sic] only the columnists-approved music, clothes, TV programmes....  You might, I don't. 

Get out, you "lifestyle journalists" and your We-all relatives. Switch the thing off. Explore beyond the safety of the M25 Corrall* - or equivalent in New York, etc - make face-to-face as well as Facebook friends; go to concerts, pub gigs, shows; visit real places of interest or beauty, or join clubs and societies for which the Internet facilitates rather than replaces the physical meetings and activities! 

The old adage says, "A bad workman blames his tools". Indeed. Whether the tool is a plane, a file, or an electronic communicator.

*M25: London's orbital motorway, a complete ring-road extending quite far from the city, protecting its We-all denizens' demi-god(esse)s from the Outsideland devoid of owt but potential second-homes. I don't know if any major US or other nation's cities have equivalents!

Oh, and I have no television and refuse to use Facebook....
      August 3, 2017 3:43 AM MDT