Active Now

Gino LOLobrigida
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » from the 1939 movie "The Wizard of OZ" ~

from the 1939 movie "The Wizard of OZ" ~

~ did Dorothy deserve all her troubles? That Wicked Witch of the West asked her for her deceased sister's shoes but Dorothy refused to give them to her -- little thief.

Posted - June 12, 2017

Responses

• Stoopid Dorthey should have gave the wicked witch of the west her sister's shoes:/ And I'm pretty sure that Glinda the good witch is that annoying cheerleader from high school you just wanted to punch in the throat cos she was always happy and perfect. Yeah , the green witch got a bad deal and Dorothy got what she deserved. 
      June 12, 2017 7:22 PM MDT

No one until you has ever agreed with my assessment of the situation!
    :)
    Thanks, Jaimie!
      June 12, 2017 7:30 PM MDT

• You're welcome. If you ever get a chance to see the broadway play "WICKED" you should. It's an alternative view to the movie wizard of oz and it's all about from the green witch perspective. It's an amazing show. I saw it off broad way and I know it does travel from state to state. It's in Boston this summer if you're  close ... Go see it:) I think you'd like it.
      June 12, 2017 7:35 PM MDT

I've heard only great things about that show. I tried reading the book and disliked its style immediately for some reason.

The crazy thing - - I think Margaret Hamilton's performance as "Almira Gulch/The Wicked Witch of the West" is THE most perfect performance I've seen in any movie. Everything Margaret does is perfect to me in that movie. And I find her the Ultimate Witch -- I'm afraid to have my love of her performance tainted by seeing another version.
    But I bet I'll see "Wicked" at some point - - like I said, I have heard ONLY great things about it.
    I admit it's sort of a cool thing to have the green Witch's potential perspective given a bit.

My favorite part of "The Wizard of OZ" has always been Margaret Hamilton -- ever since a very young child. I loved being terrified of her.
    :) This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 14, 2017 6:03 PM MDT
      June 12, 2017 7:43 PM MDT

• I've heard the book is aweful. The play is not at all a retelling of the movie. I understand being loyal to an original character But It's an interesting new perspective on the story that is your way of thinking on her character. You'll like it:) cos I said so! :)
      June 12, 2017 7:52 PM MDT

June 12, 2017 8:30 PM MDT

I read the book a number of years ago.  Not that it really matters but, I actually liked it. 
      June 14, 2017 6:06 PM MDT

• Go see the play Harry! It's the bomb diggity:)
      June 14, 2017 6:07 PM MDT

Jaimie, did you see it on Broadway?
      June 14, 2017 6:09 PM MDT

• no:) I saw it in Toronto maybe 7 or 8 years back... I loved it... I've never been to NY City :/ 
      June 14, 2017 6:13 PM MDT

Well, since you are recommending it, the next time I visit NYC, I just might see it.  I have been planning a trip back there to visit friends at some point over the next couple of months.  

If you've never been to NYC, and plan on going at some point in time, don't visit during the summer.  It smells gawd awful and you will invariably see a business man peeing on the side of a building because he is too lazy to find a bathroom.  The rest of the year, it's a lovely place to visit.    
      June 14, 2017 6:22 PM MDT

• Not sure why , but I've never had a disire to go to NYC:) I go To NY state often cos I live close enough. Maybe one day I'll hit up the city  .. Not in stinky summer though:)
      June 14, 2017 6:28 PM MDT

I should have mentioned, if you don't like crowds & a lot of noise, I wouldn't recommend it.  I worked there for many years and now I can only take it in small doses.  I do miss all the great restaurants though.  
      June 14, 2017 6:32 PM MDT

• I do get anxiety in crowds at times :) I went to Washington D.C. For woman's march and was pretty much a bundle of nerves the whole time cos too many people :/ 
    I went to Vegas a few months ago though and was fine with the crowds... Probably cos I was intoxicated the entire time ;p 
      June 14, 2017 6:44 PM MDT

LMAO!  Yes, a bit of lubrication does help in a variety of situations. ;-)
      June 14, 2017 6:48 PM MDT

• lol :) AYE , AYE! I suggest you get well lubricated   before your wedding to that Walmart dude ;p 
      June 14, 2017 6:52 PM MDT

Jaimie, can't you tell from my responses here that I'm always drunk or stoned?  So no worries.  I can absolutely guarantee I will be blind drunk during the ceremony. ;)
      June 15, 2017 5:41 PM MDT

• Oh :) I hadn't noticed your're always drunk or stoned .... cos I'm always drunk or stoned...;)
      June 16, 2017 10:50 AM MDT

Yeah, she was absolutely, perfectly terrifying! 
      June 12, 2017 8:26 PM MDT

Agreed!
      June 12, 2017 8:29 PM MDT

• The Wicked Witch was a witch and a wicked one.  Shouldn't she have the power to take the shoes?  Not much of a witch if she is so easily bested.
      June 12, 2017 7:37 PM MDT

Yes, true, I know. I can't argue with your valid points.

I just love the hell out of Margaret Hamilton's performance as The Wicked Witch in the movie! Ha! She's always been my favorite part of the entire movie. For some reason, I enjoyed being terrified of her. And I love the tornado scene, too.

Thanks for answering, whistle6! Great answer!
    :) This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 14, 2017 6:06 PM MDT
      June 12, 2017 7:45 PM MDT

I'm surprised that the entire cast didn't die horribly of mesothelioma. Do you know what the director used to produce the effect of Glinda's snowstorm? WHITE CHRYSOLITE ASBESTOS. That's right, Judy Garland and pals frolicked through 27 cancer blizzards before they got their final take, unaware that every time they fluffed their lines they were taking a year off their lives.
      June 12, 2017 8:16 PM MDT

You're an absolute fount of obscure and often fascinating knowledge, Slartibartfast! I imagine I'm the first person who has told you that. :)
      June 12, 2017 8:24 PM MDT