Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » I had to fill out some new forms at the hospital to get some blood work done.

I had to fill out some new forms at the hospital to get some blood work done.

One of the forms had me check a box stating my sexual orientation. It was state mandated. Is this a gross violation of privacy?

Posted - June 13, 2017

Responses

Archaic - but 30-40 years ago gay men were more at risk of carrying certain blood-borne illnesses such as HIV and hepatitis. This is no longer the case and all blood is screened for those viruses as a matter of course, but it always takes government paperwork years if not decades to catch up.
      June 13, 2017 7:02 AM MDT

I still felt uncomfortable and should have checked lesbian instead of hetero. That would have thrown them off.
      June 13, 2017 7:05 AM MDT

I think it's time governments speed up a bit their paperwork machinations.
    I'm still not able to give blood, based on those questionnaires. 
      June 23, 2017 5:41 PM MDT

If there is space for a write-in I would write NOYB.
      June 13, 2017 12:11 PM MDT

sounds like it
      June 13, 2017 3:29 PM MDT

The last time I recently went to give blood -- about two years ago -- I was not allowed to because I was honest on the questions. (I had had sex with a man within a certain time period, I believe - - maybe they asked about a certain time period, I got sort of pissed, I may not remember correctly).

Did it have a question asking if I regularly had myself checked for HIV and STD's and other conditions? No. (I do; even with very little activity, to be honest.) And did it ask for the results of those tests? No. (Always negative).  And did it ask how sexually active I am? No. (Not so much, actually)

I don't know what kind of violation it is  -- or even if it is -- but the message is clear ~ those heterosexuals apparently are safe to screw the world and everyone in it and share needles and all sorts of things - - and it's all good! Give blood! We'll take it!
    After more than two decades of being refused, I guess I'll keep my blood to myself.

(I admit I've not kept up on the details of this topic so my answer here may be out of date. And I should not have answered in anger. I'll post it anyway.) This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 23, 2017 5:43 PM MDT
      June 23, 2017 5:38 PM MDT