Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Ever hear of EXTREMOPHILES? Microorganisms that thrive in very inhospitable environments? Do you struggle to survive or do you thrive?

Ever hear of EXTREMOPHILES? Microorganisms that thrive in very inhospitable environments? Do you struggle to survive or do you thrive?

Extremophiles are microorganisms that can thrive in the deep sea, ice, boiling water, acid, the water core of nuclear reactors, salt crystals, toxic waste or even inside of warm rock. Does that amaze you as it does me?

Posted - June 14, 2017

Responses

Yep. Tardigrades (water bears) can even survive in the hard vacuum of outer space.
      June 14, 2017 4:31 PM MDT

Thank you for the new word Sbf. I appreciate it. I just looked up tardigrade in the dictionary. Gosh there is so much to learn about in the world.  I wonder what the human limit is for absorbing knowledge? I'm gonna ask that question. Is there only so much learning possible or is our ability to learn limitless? Another tangent. Another direction. Never-ending! Ain't life fun? :)
      June 15, 2017 3:05 AM MDT

never heard of it
      June 15, 2017 3:38 PM MDT