Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » What methods do people use to get people to join their religion?

What methods do people use to get people to join their religion?

Posted - June 15, 2017

Responses

Well, I've been told by a pastor before I would go to hell if I didn't 'convert' my family members to join his church.  Needless to say that was the LAST time I went to that church. So, in short 'some' people will try to scare or intimidate another to convert to their religion. 
      June 15, 2017 11:08 AM MDT

Fear is one of the best methods they use.
      June 15, 2017 12:35 PM MDT

Fear, lies and brainwashing....yup
      June 15, 2017 1:10 PM MDT

they will bother them about it
      June 15, 2017 1:34 PM MDT

• they'll come to your home, knock on the door, and if you answer, they keep coming back. if you don't, they leave pamphlets.
      June 15, 2017 1:48 PM MDT

Or they stand by their carts that are full of their pamphlets and if you ask them anything they direct you to their website.
    And if they don't like a question you ask they get very rude.
      June 15, 2017 2:15 PM MDT

When I was working and catching the bus, someone would try to come and give me pamphlets at least twice a week at 7 in the morning!. Although I was polite I told them I was NOT interested, they STILL would try to hand me pamphlets. l Never took them. 
      June 15, 2017 2:45 PM MDT

Now they just stand there like statues by their carts waiting for people to talk to them.
      June 15, 2017 2:54 PM MDT

My personal favorite is a shotgun.
      June 15, 2017 3:00 PM MDT

Someone laid out a trail of tildes on the ground leading to the church.  They had six burly guys with bully billy clubs and brass knuckles waiting for me inside there, and after they worked me over, a burlap sack was thrown over my head, my wrists and ankles were bound, I was driven outside of town and spent weeks at a "Reeducation Camp".  

I am now a believer. 

~ This post was edited by Randy D at June 16, 2017 4:17 PM MDT
      June 15, 2017 3:17 PM MDT

• Lulu'smom, as you mentioned, fear is one of the ways. Others include blatant lies, little white lies, coercion, mind control, threats. Promises of great wealth, health, and prosperity. You name it, they do it. If a person is looking to find a good church to attend then they should ask a lot of questions and attend a couple of services. After that compare with what this church/religion believes and compare it with the Bible. If what they believe and practice doesn't align with Scripture then pass it by and try again. The best and most Bible-believing and practicing church I ever attended was a small independent Baptist church. Unfortunately the pastor retired and a new, more liberal pastor took over. I stopped going. 
      June 16, 2017 4:14 PM MDT

What methods do people use to get people to join their religion?

=====================================================

1- When the Romans adopted Christianity as the official state religion for its empire in Europe they standardised and formalised its beliefs so that its citizens would not be consumed by religious disputes. Anyone who did not conform to the official beliefs of Roman Catholicism was a heretic and could be sentenced to torture or death.

2- Then there were the Inquisitions and the Crusades which were also methods of eliminating those who did not conform to the Roman Catholic beliefs and doctrines.

3- After Paganism was wiped out of Europe and it was thoroughly Christianised, European countries, in more recent centuries, vied one with another in colonising other countries. The colonisers would bring with them their language, culture and missionaries who would, just like the Romans did before them, but without the ruthlessness of the Romans, establish the coloniser’s brand of Christianity among the natives.

4- As far as individuals are concerned, if there are followers of a religion who deserve the top award for the most gripping zeal to get people to join their religion it has to be Christians. They will literally risk everything including their lives to “save” souls. Like the South Korean evangelist group who went to Afghanistan, they go into war zones, in areas struck with famine and natural disasters and even into primitive tribes very hostile to any outsider.

5- Although Christianity is split into thousands of sects they are all united by the so called Great Commission in which Jesus in his post crucifixion appearance is reported as saying “go and make disciples of ALL nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.”

6- There are some worrying problems with that passage. It appears only in the Gospel of Matthew at 28:19-20. It is widely accepted that the Gospels of Matthew and Luke are based on that of Mark, but in the oldest manuscript, the Codex Sinaiticus,  there is no resurrection and therefore no post crucifixion appearance of Jesus. Moreover, if that instruction was really given by Jesus then why was it not followed – there is no record that the disciples baptised “in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit” There is also little regard paid to “teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.” because  Jesus commanded that even the smallest detail of the law be followed, but evangelists don’t teach that.

7- As for those who get angry and become rude when approached with questions about their beliefs, or ignore such questions, they are going against 1 Peter 3:15 which commands that you “ALWAYS be prepared to give an answer to EVERYONE who asks you to give the REASON for the hope that you have” And to complete the command the verse adds “But do this WITH GENTLENESS AND RESPECT”

June 22, 2017 10:15 AM MDT