Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » Do you ever CHOOSE your mood? Ever decide that no matter what you were going to have a happy day? Or does your mood ALWAYS choose you?

Do you ever CHOOSE your mood? Ever decide that no matter what you were going to have a happy day? Or does your mood ALWAYS choose you?

Posted - June 17, 2017

Responses

seems like my mood always chooses me
      June 17, 2017 5:18 PM MDT

I don't know if I believe that it's possible to choose your own mood, but I do believe in the power of active thinking. I do this a lot; when I wake up in a bad mood for reasons I'm either aware of or not, I find myself having a conversation in my head about if I'm going to let it get the best of me. Some days I "choose" to be happy, but that doesn't mean I am. It just means that I choose to live in the moment and try to set aside the things that I think are getting me down to focus on something else.
      June 18, 2017 8:31 PM MDT

I can choose my mood mk. I have in the past and I probably shall continue to do so in the future. An example. Years ago at the neighborhood drugstore I encountered a clerk who just rubbed me the wrong way. Our interactions were contentious and unpleasant for a few weeks. I decided one day to change my attitude and make her my friend. I did. It was a challenge. At first she didn't know what hit her and I think it unsettled her. But after a few weeks we chatted in a cordial way and and we even had lunch together a couple of times. All because I decided to change things. Now I'm not saying that would always work. She had to be amenable to the change in the dynmics between us. I decide that I'm not happy with the way things are going and try to figure out what I can change in me to effect a desired goal. Am I always successful? Of course not. You have to care enough to bother though.  I always find something positive in everything.  I am optimistic by nature and hopeful so that is helpful. I can also be very cold and aloof. I'm the one who decides. Thank you for your reply! Sounds as if you do quite well! :)
      June 19, 2017 2:28 AM MDT

I like this way of thinking. You're a perfect example of, "If you don't like the way something is, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." (I'm sure I butchered that quote, but you know what I mean.) I believe in this too. If I'm going to complain about something I might as well try to fix it first!! Otherwise it's wasted energy. 
      June 19, 2017 8:11 AM MDT

Exactamundo!  Sometimes no matter how hard we try it doesn't matter. But at least you tried. That's something you can hang on to if things don't get better. But mostly? It does help from a little bit to a lot to try. It's really HOT HOT HOT here in Hemet, California and will be for at least 8 days. We have a brand new air conditioner courtesy of our landlord so we are set! Thank you for your reply mk and Happy Tuesday! Stay cool figuratively and literally! :)
      June 20, 2017 1:43 AM MDT