Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Excluding those who have "conditions", do memories fade as we get older or do they sometimes become more vivid/sharper? Why?

Excluding those who have "conditions", do memories fade as we get older or do they sometimes become more vivid/sharper? Why?

Posted - June 18, 2017

Responses

Old memories surface at the oodest times. But new memories disappear faster and faster.

I have several times managed to walk into the kichen 'to make tea' and then made dinner instead. It is only some 15 steps so that is a measure of how fast forgetting can happen ;-))
      June 18, 2017 7:35 AM MDT

It happens to me a lot JakobA. I'll go into a different room and once  there I have no idea why. But some long ago and far away memories surface at such unexpected times appropros of nothing I know and they SEEM sharper. Why I don't know! Thank you for your reply! :)
      June 19, 2017 4:04 AM MDT

In my case, I have a tendency to remember the good memories and leave the not-so-good ones alone.  I'm not saying they didn't happen, I just choose not to recall them as frequently as the good ones.
      June 18, 2017 10:01 AM MDT

It's excellent that you have such control Spunky.   I have more good memories than not-so-hot so I tend to remember pleasant things far more often. There are a couple of thinkgs I'd like to forget of course. I have no control over when, where or why they show up. Thank you for your reply! :)
      June 19, 2017 4:06 AM MDT

Yes, sometimes the bad ones come unbidden, but not nearly as often as the good ones, fortunately. :)
      June 19, 2017 8:17 AM MDT

Stop with the either or.

Nothing is black or white.  This is not a question to be answered this simply.

Obviously.

We have long term and short term memory.  One is very different from the other.

I am not about to get into that 300 page dissertation on Answer Mug.  Everyone knows this anyway. 

So, most older people have difficulty with short term memory as a rule.  Some get more and more focused on the past and what they choose to believe happened in the past.  Nothing concerning memory can be proven, so how valid a memory is cannot be proven very easily either.  Especially with the idea that each individual person is an individual with individual results.

June 18, 2017 10:17 AM MDT

YOU have the option of ignoring questions you don't like Shar. You do NOT have the option of telling me what to ask. I would think by now you would KNOW that. Thank you for your reply.
      June 19, 2017 4:08 AM MDT

i would think it depends on the person since everyone is different
      June 18, 2017 1:50 PM MDT