Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » May I share some hope via Roger Waters?

May I share some hope via Roger Waters?

dim the lights, breathe deeply, take it in . . . 

"The Tide Is Turning"   Roger Waters  (and a superb male chorus at the end of the song)

~ I'll put the lyrics as an answer; great lyrics

Posted - June 18, 2017

Responses

"The Tide Is Turning"    Roger Waters

I used to think the world was flat
    Rarely threw my hat into the crowd
    I felt I had used up my quota of yearning
    Used to look in on the children at night
    In the glow of their Donald Duck light
    And frighten myself with the thought
    of my little ones burning
    But, oh, oh, oh, the tide is turning
    The tide is turning
    Satellite buzzing through the endless night
    Exclusive to moonshots and world title fights
    Jesus Christ imagine what it must be earning
    Who is the strongest
    Who is the best
    Who holds the aces
    The East
    Or the West
    This is the crap our children are learning
    But oh, oh, oh, the tide is turning
    The tide is turning
    Oh, oh, oh, the tide is turning
    Now the satellite's confused
    'Cos on Saturday night
    The airwaves were full of compassion and light
    And his silicon heart warmed
    To the sight of a billion candles burning
    Oo, oo, oo, the tide is turning
    Oo, oo, oo, the tide is turning
    The tide is turning Billy
    I'm not saying that the battle is won
    But on Saturday night all those kids in the sun
    Wrested technology's sword from
    the hand of the war lords
    Oh, oh, oh, the tide is turning
    The tide is turning Sylvester
    The tide is turning
      June 18, 2017 7:23 PM MDT

Can I respond with Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjEq-r2agqc
      June 19, 2017 5:52 AM MDT

Thanks, Slartibartfast. I remember you posting this somewhere else and I listened to it. I listened again.

I have a question to which I don't know the answer. Do you find this a "Don't give Up because we have 'us'- - we're a couple together, a love relationship" song or is the song a general "Don't Give up - -you're important, whether you're in a significant-other relationship or whether you're single or whatever; don't give up because your life is worth something" song?
    I'd like to think it's the latter but the video and some of the lyrics (" somewhere there's a place for us", for example) seem to suggest to Don't Give Up because we're a couple and we can find strength together.

I'd like to think it's not that type of song because I tire of songs that keep repeating that "Together We Can Get through Anything" love song that , to me, are a dime-a-dozen anymore. Some people, including me, are single. I tire of so many songs stressing the importance of significant-other love relationships.

I know you know this song well and like it --  I like the song, too, after hearing it only twice - -  I just wonder if I'm making too much of some of the lyrics and trying to put too much of a specific/literal meaning to the song. I'd like to know that a song like this could be for single people who have no significant other in their lives.
    :)

Thanks, again for posting and answering. It all helped me a bit today.
      June 19, 2017 4:43 PM MDT

When I hit rock bottom after my second suicide attempt, my daughter found a cover of this one by Shannon Noll and Natalie Bassingthwaite - which reminded me of the original.  I listened to it quite a lot of times as I battled depression, it helped.
    I saw it as a wife comforting her husband - the implication that I got was that they had children as well, but that may have just been my take on "we don't need much of anything", I internalized it and applied it to my own situation. I had nothing left to give but they loved me anyway.
      June 19, 2017 4:51 PM MDT

Oh, my, thank you for sharing such honesty, Slartibartfast. I appreciate it greatly. And I think you have answered my question very well -- the song is so good that it lends itself to letting the listener internalize it to his or her own self and circumstance. A great song.
    My best to you always!
    Be Well,
    WelbyQ
    :)
      June 19, 2017 5:23 PM MDT