righty1
whistle6
goody2shoos
sam
Baba
CLURT
Judas Goat
WingedWonder
StuBtheABRefugee
SpunkySenior
CallMeIshmael
Zack - Mr. GenXer
pearl
Karen
Discussion » Questions » answerMug Members » For you question askers out there. What do you think of folks who tell you what you should ask and what you shouldn't? Why?

For you question askers out there. What do you think of folks who tell you what you should ask and what you shouldn't? Why?

Posted - Mon at 4:10 AM

• 8858

I don't know if that specifically has ever happened with me, but there were a few back on the now-defunct AnswerBag who tried to dictate how a question should be asked or that I could not restrict to whom I addressed questions, stating that any person should be allowed to answer any question.   My rebuttal to the latter was that certain questions can be specific to certain people.  For instance, a question about what it feels like to give birth can only be answered by someone who has given birth, so prefacing such a question with, "Women who have given birth, . . . " is wholly appropriate. A question about being a combat veteran can only be answered by a combat veteran. Or first-hand experience of being a child of divorce. Or piloting an aircraft. Or saving a person from drowning. Et cetera. 

Conversely, there is someone who chastises us on how we should be answering her questions. 

_
      June 19, 2017 6:30 AM MDT
    4

• 2721
    Ask whatever you like in whatever manner you choose.  Anyone who doesn't like the question can just scroll on by or answer it in whatever way they choose, so long as they are respectful, if they disagree.
      June 19, 2017 8:55 AM MDT
    4

• 22625
    ((hugs)) Exactamundo! Ignore or respond. Everyone has a choice. Pick and choose. Select your preference. Easy peasy. Thank you for your reasonable/sensible/logical/common sensical reply Spunky! I wish everyone felt as you do! Life on the internet social site would be ever so much more pleasant! :)
      June 20, 2017 2:28 AM MDT
    2

• 2721
    It takes all kinds to make a world, Rosie.  :)
      June 20, 2017 1:42 PM MDT
    3

• 22625
    Yeparoonio it sure does! And I reserve the right to hang out with the ones I like and not with the ones I don't. So shoot me! Thank you for your reply Spunky! ((hugs))
      June 22, 2017 5:37 AM MDT
    2

• 2721
    No argument from me. :)
      June 22, 2017 9:51 AM MDT
    1

• 9102
    i dont think they have any right to tell others what to do
      June 19, 2017 2:32 PM MDT
    0

• 12644
    People don't ever say that to anyone else but you.  It is because you say the same things over and over and over.  And you don't seem to see this.    This is a site of interaction.  You don't interact.  You just announce your every thought.  Perhaps if you tried to be polite and get on everyone else's questions for a change, you might broaden your perspective and habit of just typing anything that comes into your head before you even think about it. 

Prolific does not mean quality.  Constantly remarking about other people and how they act on here, meaning to YOU, is not doing you any favors. 

They are telling you to knock it off.    And, I'm sorry, I cannot disagree with them.  I like that you ask questions, but you just bombard the site with the same things.  Why don't you try writing down your questions first and then re-reading them and eliminating all the repeats?  Blah blah blah is what it looks like to your readers whom you seem to ignore.    If your memory is that sketchy that you cannot remember that you just said that same thing 50 times, you need to have a check list of what you say.  Try re-reading all your questions and open your mind.   The rest of the site cannot be wrong.

It is very hypocritical. 

Everyone is asking you to knock it off and you don't listen. 
      June 22, 2017 9:59 AM MDT
    1

• 2479
    I am real good now at ignoring what doesn't interest me and finding what does.  I wouldn't want anyone censored unless their posts were meant to be a passive aggressive attack of another poster.  Other than that, fire away.

June 22, 2017 10:06 AM MDT
    1

• 7185

This is a social site and as such I do have to consider others when it comes to my posts.  Foremost I have to abide by the rules that are set forth here just as I would have to abide by the rules in society.  Secondly I make it a point to take into account how I am perceived and how I am affecting others by what I post.  It is a balancing act of being true to me and understanding of others.  A tricky act to perform sometimes.  I don't wish to bring undue harm to answerMug or to its members so I shake things up with a good mix of topics so that I don't send everyone over the edge with non stop talking about boys.  I stop and consider things even before I post a pic because they scroll across the main page.  It isn't my fault they do that and I have every right to post but like Spunky Senior said one time to me, she doesn't like being somewhere in view of others and have to watch risque pics pop up everywhere.  So I often consider what I am posting and the timing of it all.  Its the kind and considerate thing to do.  I suppose there are many different types of questions.   One example would be asking questions looking to be provided with insight on a topic, another example might be simply asking a question in order to provide discussion platforms for others to simply use as a jumping off point.  I do like to provide others with topics they can use as entertainment.  That's every bit as important as the informative ones.  I do believe though that we have to consider others occasionally.  No one exists in a vacuum and everything we do and say has ripple effects.

Its a good question Rosie.  How do you believe you affect others here across this site and do you believe you should have greater consideration of what you do and how you are perceived? 

(psst.  i'm just trying to help you out here a lil bit.  take the hint)
      June 22, 2017 10:42 AM MDT
    4