Active Now

Malizz
Randy D
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Celebrities » Do you think it's unreasonable when celebrities desire privacy in their personal lives?

Do you think it's unreasonable when celebrities desire privacy in their personal lives?

Is everyone entitled to privacy even if they choose to live their lives in the public eye? What do you think?

Posted - June 19, 2017

Responses

• Everyone engaged in any business is dependent on the public.  The owner of a pizzeria depends on customers buying his food just as much as a musician or athlete is dependent on ticket sales.  So this idea of, "When the public is your life, your life is public." is fatuous rubbish.  The athlete and musician owe their fans a good show.  They do not owe them off time autographs, explanations of one's marriage status, contract value or any other of the crap fans seem desperate know.
      June 19, 2017 8:15 AM MDT

Yes!!! I tend to agree with you. But I've never really thought of it this way before. You're so right - all businesses depend on the public in one form or another. I find myself having this conversation with people a lot for some reason, so I'm going to definitely bring up that point next time. 

I was thinking about it because I hear so much this point of "if celebrities don't want their personal lives discussed, then they shouldn't post about their significant other/baby/parents/friends/etc. on [insert social media here]." And I agree there is some validity in this to a point, but just because Mrs. Movie Star posts about her husband one day on Instagram doesn't mean she's entitled to give the public anything else if she doesn't want. 

Thanks for your response!!
      June 19, 2017 8:32 AM MDT

• Yes, if one publically posts details of his private life then the ensuing problems are his own doing.  

The other thing I find very irritating in reference to celebrities is people moaning that this or that celebrity is not a good role model.  Celebrities are here to entertain us, not help raise one's kids. 
      June 19, 2017 10:31 AM MDT

SO TRUE. If a parent is looking to Lindsay Lohan to help them rear their children, they've clearly got some bigger thinking to do.
      June 19, 2017 1:17 PM MDT

I agree with whistle - great answer.  There are movie stars who manage to keep a somewhat private life.  As for athletes, some are able to do that, too, but if you're an athlete or other public persona and you do something foolish, you can bet it's going to be in the papers for a while. 
      June 19, 2017 8:32 AM MDT

I also think those celebrities who struggle with maintaining a more personal private life would have had that same struggle whether they're in front of cameras or the local community center. I certainly know a handful of people who can't for some reason EVER keep intimate details to themselves; they always end up trusting the wrong person to share their stories with. It just magnifies of course when you mention something to a TV reporter instead of the busybody at the grocery store.  
      June 19, 2017 8:38 AM MDT

• "Not at all."  It saddens me how far some have had to go to be alone.

June 19, 2017 10:47 AM MDT

It's sad what people are driven to when they feel the pressures of too many eyes upon them. I agree. :(
      June 19, 2017 1:18 PM MDT

i dont think so, everyone has a right to privacy
      June 19, 2017 1:44 PM MDT

Seems like a basic human right, doesn't it?
      June 19, 2017 7:41 PM MDT