Active Now

Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Military » Is being a Conscientious Objector limited to religious folks or could an Atheist be one too?

Is being a Conscientious Objector limited to religious folks or could an Atheist be one too?

If you wanted to serve your country without killing anyone would you declare yourself to be a Conscientious Objector so you would not be required to serve on a battlefield?

Posted - June 25, 2017

Responses

Dunno about nowadays (but I suspect an atheist who makes a good moral argument will acquire C/O status), but my friend and I argued with each other passionately in our spare time aboard our nuclear-powered cruiser. 

He decided to request an honorable discharge based on C/O, and I helped him write up his argument.  He was granted it, and I feel proud that I helped him get it.  I still disagreed with him, but I recognized the validity of his arguments.
      June 25, 2017 6:21 AM MDT

((hugs)) Pardon the impertinence of a hug billy but I couldn't help myself. You disagreed with your friend yet you helped him write his argument! You are a jewel m'dear. I surely wish there were more people like you in the world. You respect him and his decision though it is not what you would do yourself. Good for you! Thank you for sharing that with us. I really appreciate. It's so good know that people still exist that would do such a thing! Happy Sunday to thee billy b!  :)
      June 25, 2017 6:36 AM MDT

Having a conscience has nothing to do with one's religious beliefs or lack thereof. Definitely should apply to atheists. 

Happy Sunday, Rosie! :)
      June 25, 2017 6:24 AM MDT

I believe it should too my friend. I just wonder if it is. Thank you for your reply SA and Happy Sunday! :)
      June 25, 2017 6:33 AM MDT

Wiki has a pretty good article on it. I guess it's non-applicable to countries without a draft, like the US. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscientious_objector
      June 25, 2017 6:51 AM MDT

That makes sense. Thanks for the info SA! :)
      June 25, 2017 6:57 AM MDT

Yes. Religious faith is not required for being a conscientous objector. it is about what your conscience will permit, not about what your god say. It has however often coincided with religious beliefs, I suppose that is what can make it confusing.
      June 25, 2017 7:21 AM MDT

Aversion to killing makes one a conscientious objector.

June 25, 2017 7:23 AM MDT

I know many people who object to war and are not religious. But they still support our troops because without them we would be dead meat.
      June 25, 2017 8:06 AM MDT

Yes! Support the people who serve, while objecting to the actions they're forced to engage in. 
      June 25, 2017 8:37 AM MDT

Without any soldiers anywhere there would be no war.   I know this is the stupidest thing to utter, but my point simply is, that we need to re-tool our consciousness globally.  Until the world is elevated enough where we all know that war is STUPID and people DIE for NO real reason at all, we will continue to need, use and abuse our brave men and women who's main goal is to serve and protect the rest of us. 
      June 25, 2017 8:46 AM MDT

That would be great if there were no more wars. But as long as we are under power hungry leaders, we won't see and end to wars anytime soon.
      June 25, 2017 8:54 AM MDT

Most of the religious sins/commandments were lifted from the pre-existing morality. Atheists are as capable of being against killing, lying, cheating, stealing etc as anyone else.   
      June 25, 2017 1:44 PM MDT

I am sure that many people that don't follow the Bible or have a religion can see that killing over national boundaries, political ideologies, tribal differences, race, religion etc is wrong. Although Christians recognize that, they are not the only ones that recognize that truth. It may be a little harder for them thinking that this life is all that there is as I think that fighting tooth and nail for you and yours seems to be the norm for today. Christians know why the world is in such turmoil and what the hope if for mankind.

(Romans 2:14, 15) For when people of the nations, who do not have law, do by nature the things of the law, these people, although not having law, are a law to themselves. 15 They are the very ones who demonstrate the matter of the law to be written in their hearts, while their conscience is bearing witness with them, and by their own thoughts they are being accused or even excused.
    (2 Corinthians 10:3) For though we walk in the flesh, we do not wage warfare according to what we are in the flesh.
    (Micah 4:1-4) In the final part of the days, The mountain of the house of Jehovah Will become firmly established above the top of the mountains,...3... Nation will not lift up sword against nation, Nor will they learn war anymore.  

(Romans 12:17-21) Return evil for evil to no one. Take into consideration what is fine from the viewpoint of all men. 18 If possible, as far as it depends on you, be peaceable with all men. 19 Do not avenge yourselves, beloved, but yield place to the wrath; for it is written: “‘Vengeance is mine; I will repay,’ says Jehovah.” 20 But “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by doing this you will heap fiery coals on his head.” 21 Do not let yourself be conquered by the evil, but keep conquering the evil with the good.

(2 Timothy 3:1-5) But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here. 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, 3 having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, 4 betrayers, headstrong, puffed up with pride, lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, 5 having an appearance of godliness but proving false to its power; and from these turn away.

(Daniel 2:44) “In the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will never be destroyed. And this kingdom will not be passed on to any other people. It will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms, and it alone will stand forever,
    (Daniel 7:13, 14) “I kept watching in the visions of the night, and look! with the clouds of the heavens, someone like a son of man was coming; and he gained access to the Ancient of Days, and they brought him up close before that One. 14 And to him there were given rulership, honor, and a kingdom, that the peoples, nations, and language groups should all serve him. His rulership is an everlasting rulership that will not pass away, and his kingdom will not be destroyed.
    (Matthew 24:14) And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.
      June 26, 2017 1:06 PM MDT

Every human being has been endowed with the capacity to possess a conscience. 
      July 20, 2017 11:58 PM MDT