Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » How important do you have to be to be assassinated instead of being murdered?

How important do you have to be to be assassinated instead of being murdered?

Posted - June 26, 2017

Responses

• Don't know. But I'd think it'd have to be someone in a position of political power. So an important businessman might not qualify.

June 26, 2017 11:32 AM MDT

Does it have to be political? Was Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. assassination political or religious?
      June 26, 2017 12:15 PM MDT

Dr King was considered a political figure. It wasn't religious, otherwise other Baptist pastors would also have been targeted. It was his active role in the African-American civil rights movement that got him killed.
      June 26, 2017 5:02 PM MDT

An interesting question to me.
    Sort of morbid but I stlll smiled, knowing that I'd definitely be considered a murder.
    :)
      June 26, 2017 12:34 PM MDT

pretty important but i think theyre both the same thing
      June 26, 2017 12:58 PM MDT

You have to be a prominent political figure. Not necessarily a national leader, otherwise the murders of Dr Martin Luther King,  Robert F Kennedy and Mohandas K "Mahatma" Gandhi wouldn't have been considered assassinations, but all were actively involved in politics.
      June 26, 2017 5:09 PM MDT

Hi Element~ In my humble opinion, a murder is done with passion.  An assassination is done as a hit job.

It really depends on the feeling, or lack there of, the person has who is pulling the trigger.

To some, John Lennon's murder was as big as John F. Kennedy's assassination.

According to Wikipedia, the definition of assassination vs murder is:  Assassination is the murder of a prominent person, often a political leader or ruler, usually for political reasons or payment.*

To me, they both were very powerful people who spread words we will all remember.
    Why one is defined one way and the other another is about where you place the power of the people and the media.
      June 26, 2017 11:15 PM MDT