Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Arts » Yet another lonely category:( I've got one. What sort of art do you enjoy doing? Draw? Paint? Ceramics? Architect? Sculpture?Conceptual?

Yet another lonely category:( I've got one. What sort of art do you enjoy doing? Draw? Paint? Ceramics? Architect? Sculpture?Conceptual?

Posted - June 27, 2017

Responses

I enjoy drawing a lot, it's therapeutic for me. 
      June 28, 2017 12:48 AM MDT

That is very cool nobodylair :)  Do you like pencils? colored pencils? pens?  charcoal? 
    I like to draw a lot too.  I like doing animals and sometimes landscapes when I do colored pencils or acrylic paints.  People can be really difficult if you try to draw them realistically. I'm not very good but it is very therapeutic for me too :)
      June 28, 2017 1:16 AM MDT

Thank you, Merlin. :) and yes it is.

I almost exclusively use pencils. I tried charcoal for a while, but I often go back to pencils cause they're the ones I feel most comfortable with. 

and haha, yeah, people are difficult that's why I never draw them, I'm also not very good at drawing real things around me. >.<

and I think that's the thing about it being therapeutic, at least for me, is that I don't have to be good or follow any rules, it can be a way of free expression and ultimately I really just do it for myself. anything like that can be quite therapeutic, I think. :)

June 28, 2017 2:21 AM MDT

So true!  Nobody is looking down your back or saying you have a deadline to meet.  I try to be realistic but when I flub, I tell people I was doing a Picasso version.  
    Another cool thing about art is there is no right or wrong per say.  Everyone see things a little differently.  When I figured that out, art became one of my escapes too :)
    It's really one of the best things about life too.  We both could be looking at the same item or landscape and what jumps out to you may be something entirely different than what I see first. I think some of that comes from experiences we've had through out our lives.
    Creating something totally unique out of you mind is a great talent many people don't have.  When you can do that, you are quite an artist
    Good Luck and continue on drawing nobodylair.37.  I am sure your pictures are very wonderful.  Please don't let anyone tell you differently and believe them.  Always know you have a gift and it is VERY cool.  :) :)
    See you on another question soon and have a great day :)
      June 28, 2017 7:49 AM MDT

I agree; the freedom that artistic expression gives you is very relaxing and calming, escpecially when it's a hobby rather than a job.

and that Picasso line is great lol I might have to borrow that from you sometimes.. :P

Thank you for your sweet words, and I hope you continue to enjoy drawing as well, art is a satiating food for the soul and mind.

Have a lovely night, Merlin. :) This post was edited by nobodylair.37 at June 29, 2017 8:45 PM MDT
      June 29, 2017 8:41 PM MDT

I like doing nude sculptures of myself. I put them outside and they scare away all the vermin. 
      June 28, 2017 1:15 AM MDT

Really LyricalOne!  A very fine idea.  Do you make all your parts to scale? Do you use clay? Just out of curiosity, how do your neighbors feel about these?  I think that is hilarious :D :P
      June 28, 2017 1:20 AM MDT

I thought it was only me that did that.  I do it to scare away the solicitors. 

June 28, 2017 7:53 AM MDT

I'm a performing artist and songwriter. Each to their own, I'm incredibly clumsy with my hands.
      June 28, 2017 3:40 AM MDT

You should put a video on YOUTUBE for us. That would be RAD.
      June 28, 2017 7:54 AM MDT

Excellent!
    :)
      June 28, 2017 9:35 AM MDT

Slartibartfast, if you do performing arts and can make your fingers move to make the pen create words on a page to write a song in your head, you are not clumsy with your hands.  We need people like you.  Could you imagine the world without song and music?  Goodness, what a horrid thought to have.  Never mind about that !  Instead, thank you.  You do bring music and happiness to the air :) :)
      June 28, 2017 6:05 PM MDT

I do a lot of all of that but definitely NOT an architect.  I like to do insides of homes and decorate, but not a great builder.  Don't hire me for that ever.

I'm definitely conceptual and I'm not really lonely.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 28, 2017 9:35 AM MDT
      June 28, 2017 7:59 AM MDT

You are never going to believe this but I have seen this picture before.  Don is a contractor so he can build it.  We won't have much interior decorating to do, not you nor I.  It is a hobby I love to do too!  It drives Don crazy when he comes home and the couch is in the bedroom and the bed in the living room.  Sometimes you've just gotta do the obvious.  The view is in the living room and we spend a lot of happy time in bed.  The two belong together!  Enough said!  Big giggles (we don't have kids and don't entertain very often at all.  In fact, once in 7 years.)
    Nature, the ocean, and the universe has decorated this house
    If I could get it past the Building and Safety Department, I would have him build a similar house to this in an instant!

I dabble in all of the above too.  I'm right there with you!  Happy!  Happy!

June 28, 2017 9:28 AM MDT

Simply put, I think.  I am constantly refining my thoughts.  That too is also art---and creativity as well.
      June 28, 2017 9:32 AM MDT

Tom, I applaud you.  Yes, I will agree. Being able to define and refine your thoughts is a creative art indeed.  To prove it, you answered very creatively :)  Big smiles!
      June 28, 2017 5:48 PM MDT

I retired almost 2 years ago.  My wife works from home (7 years younger).  My typical day is to get up and go upstairs to my office and then come downstairs and sit in my recliner and take a break.  She would walk by and say "Whatcha doing?"  My reply was always "Thinking"

She still walks by just as often, but she just says, "Hi" and no longer asks "Whatcha doing?"---she already knows the answer.
      July 1, 2017 10:46 AM MDT

I play piano and organ. 
    Dancer but I really enjoy choreographing dances for other dancers to perform.
      June 28, 2017 9:38 AM MDT

Welby :)!  I never knew!!  That is wonderful :)  I was supposed to take piano lessons and did.  For a year only to learn two songs.  I wasn't very successful at either of them but still had to perform them.  They were The Bridge Over Troubled Water By "Simon and Garfunkel" and "The Homecoming" by Hagood Hardy.  I did when my parents redid their vows on their 25th wedding anniversary.  To put it gently, I really sucked. 
    The thing that I never knew about you was your choreography talent!  Very Cool!!  I was watching a documentary on Michael Jackson a few nights ago and thinking about what a great dancer he was.  He choreographed some of his own stuff too.  How do you guys come up with those moves?!  Very Cool Welby.  Wait!  I already said that :)  Double cool! :) :)
      June 28, 2017 6:03 PM MDT

Brain-dead at moment but wanted to acknowledge your nice reply to my answer!
    I think Jackson was a great dancer, too. My choreography tends, for the most part, to be weird and audiences don't understand what they've seen.  Yet, so many of them seem to enjoy the dances nonetheless. And I enjoy that my head creates things that others don't understand. And sometimes I don't even understand my own dances I've created. I like knowing there's a part of me that creates and yet often fails to understand.

Loved your piano story.
    I've been playing piano since I was six years old. This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 29, 2017 11:32 AM MDT
      June 28, 2017 6:50 PM MDT

Hi Welby~ Looking back on what I wrote, I feel compelled to say, that is probably one of the most poorly written posts I have delivered in years.  Don't get me wrong.  There have been worse; but, I am sorry you had to read through all those appalling mistakes. I try not to let things that bad slip by.  Thanks for hanging in there :)

That is what being creative is all about! Coming up with new steps and moves and grooves and so on.  You've got it!!  98% if not smaller DON'T have that gift.  Rock On WelbyQuentin!  You are awesome!!  Love, Merlin
      June 29, 2017 11:44 AM MDT

I had no problem reading your post, i was with you the whole way.

I feel like sharing (i.e., I'm forcing it on you if you choose, ha!). I've choreographed several dances to the music of Laurie Anderson. I'd like to share the music to the shortest-in-length dance I've created to music by Anderson. It's only 80 seconds long. If you listen closely, you may be able to hear audience reactions in the recording because the song is taken from a "live" concert recording. 

I used the recording for my dance. At one of the several public performances, I loved a couple of things. The dance-concert audience was very attentive to the song lyrics and they reacted in a similar fashion as the "live" recording audience did.
    And I saw one little boy in the audience, repeating with joy and laughter, all the lines once the lines become recognizable. He was adorable and I loved how much he was "in to" the dance and song itself by repeating what Laurie says and then he laughed at each line.
    The dance I created is possibly as offbeat as this song. And it remains one of my favorite dances.
    I recommend just sitting and letting the song happen to your ears. 

Whether you listen or not, thanks for reading my story!
    It was fun to think about it again.

The song -- "I Dreamed I Had To Take a Test"

June 29, 2017 5:15 PM MDT

Welby, That was AWESOME!! I love it!!

What a way to take sound and mix it around.  It really gets your attention and keeps it.  Rock On Welby!!  Love, Merlin :)   
      June 29, 2017 5:29 PM MDT

Yes, isn't that song great? I'm glad you listened and I'm glad you like it , too! Anderson -- this song is from the 1980's - - uses electronics a whole lot in her music.
    And thanks for an Asker's Pick!

Be Well,
    With Love, too!
    WelbyQuentin
      June 29, 2017 5:39 PM MDT