Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » Are you still nuts enough to lie in the sun or is it lay in the sun? Do you want cancer for godsake????

Are you still nuts enough to lie in the sun or is it lay in the sun? Do you want cancer for godsake????

Posted - June 28, 2017

Responses

You were right the first time, it's "lie in the sun".  Birds lay eggs. 
    ~
      June 28, 2017 4:58 PM MDT

June 28, 2017 5:07 PM MDT

But I did lay down yesterday for my usual nap---before which I lay my glasses down on the nightstand; and it turns out I also had lain them down in precisely the correct spot.

And I noticed this hair lying on the table before I decided to gently lay my knife blade upon it to split it.

And for those interested:

An intransitive verb
    has two characteristics. First, it is an action verb, expressing a doable activity like arrive, go, lie, sneeze, sit, die, etc. Second, unlike a transitive verb, it will not have a direct object receiving the action.

https://www.chompchomp.com/terms/intransitiveverb.htm
      June 29, 2017 1:14 PM MDT

Literally just read an article about a woman pregnant with twins, who was diagnosed with metastatic melanoma. She's had a couple of operations but is putting off the bulk of her treatment until she delivers the babies at 29 weeks, 2 months premature, to try to save her life. 

The cancer started with a melanoma on her back which she had removed in 2011, but it spread to her brain and abdominal wall. The survival rate for this type of cancer is very low and is a leading cause of death in young women. It's particularly deadly in pregnant women which is thought to be because of fluctuating hormone levels. 

And the main cause? Exposure to UV rays through both direct sunlight and the use of tanning beds. This post was edited by LyricalOne at June 28, 2017 5:21 PM MDT
      June 28, 2017 5:08 PM MDT

Oh no.  This is too sorrowful to even consider.  And it is real.  I just want to picture her whole and well and pray that it happens for her. 
      June 28, 2017 5:11 PM MDT

i dont do that
      June 28, 2017 5:15 PM MDT

Good and stay safe, Pearl. 
      June 28, 2017 5:20 PM MDT

• I can't say I lie in the sun much, but when I go to the beach, I may be out in the sun for a while. I prefer to lie in the shade most times, though, if I am to be lying outside. I tan pretty well though :)
      June 28, 2017 6:03 PM MDT

Yes, me too.  I don't do it much down here in Arizona.  That is asking for death. 

June 28, 2017 6:17 PM MDT

Sometimes I just can't resist soaking up the extra vitamin D. But ALWAYS with sunscreen!!!!
      June 29, 2017 9:42 AM MDT

The sunlight saps my energy. I am good for about 15 minutes, then I go back inside. I refuse to go into the pool when it is sunny. UV can travel through clear water.
      June 29, 2017 10:15 AM MDT

That's a good point to make about UV rays coming through the water... Duly noted. But that's interesting that you say sunlight saps your energy. I always feel energized when I'm out in the sun!
      June 29, 2017 10:17 AM MDT

Yes.  It's true.  Sunlight sapping your energy is a concern though.  I hope you invest in a good multi-vitamin and an extra bottle of Vitamin D at the very least. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 29, 2017 9:02 PM MDT
      June 29, 2017 10:17 AM MDT

I have a fair complexion and after a serious sunburn when I moved from Montana to Texas as a teenager, I have always been very careful in the sun.

Lots of actinic keratoses over the years, but always removed by the dermatologist promptly.
      June 29, 2017 1:17 PM MDT

I'm glad you are vigilant.  I don't have a complexion that needs a lot of care, but I still am not immune.  I live in the Valley of the Sun and the Valley of skin cancers.  I cannot deny this.   Glad you are worry-free, with those check-ups. 
      June 29, 2017 1:19 PM MDT