Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » What makes "Jewish Rye Bread" Jewish?

What makes "Jewish Rye Bread" Jewish?

Posted - July 1, 2017

Responses

Kosher? 
      July 1, 2017 5:36 PM MDT

maybe cause jewish people make it
      July 1, 2017 5:45 PM MDT

What makes Lasagna Italian? 

What makes burritos Mexican?

What makes chop suey Chinese?

What makes hot dogs American?

What makes Spotted Dick English? 
      July 1, 2017 5:50 PM MDT

• The bread is specified as, "Jewish". Other rye is Swedish or deli.  There must be something to distinguish these breads. 
      July 1, 2017 10:02 PM MDT

Very good point, whistle.  Let's see.

Jewish rye - (Judaism) bread made with rye flour; usually contains caraway Rye bread, including pumpernickel, is a widely eaten food in Northern and Eastern Europe. Rye is also used to make the familiar crisp bread. Rye flour has a lower gluten content than wheat flour, and contains a higher proportion of soluble fiber.

Then I found this, which is just interesting....

It was under the category 'Swedish Rye'.

'Whole-grain rye is made by grinding rye berries into a variety of textures and colors, categorized according to the amount of bran and germ left in after milling. These grinds include light, medium and dark flours and pumpernickel rye, which is a coarse meal rather than a flour. The coarser the flour grind, the more robust the flavor, the darker the color and the denser your bread. The rye flour most commonly available in supermarkets is medium-grind, good for general bread making when combined with wheat flour.

Dictionary definition of Swedish Rye on internet:

Swedish rye

a moist aromatic yeast-raised bread made with rye flour and molasses and orange rind

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at July 3, 2017 5:25 PM MDT
      July 2, 2017 1:08 AM MDT

All the complaining.
      July 1, 2017 6:09 PM MDT

• Oy!
      July 1, 2017 10:02 PM MDT

Oy vey, mutha fkeeeee
      July 2, 2017 1:09 AM MDT

Because its religion is Jewish. Today I made an atheist ham sandwich. It's atheist because it doesn't believe in God. 
      July 1, 2017 6:43 PM MDT

• Oh for god's sake.
      July 1, 2017 7:19 PM MDT

That is the plight of many pigs on the planet.  When life throws them a huge curve, they forget all about god. 

July 2, 2017 1:10 AM MDT

Rye flour and caraway seeds.  Some Rye doesn't have the seeds and is often called deli rye. The Jewish also roll the dough in corn meal or some other grainy meal; that is the little hard meal that you find in the bag. 
      July 1, 2017 9:07 PM MDT

Wow, Thrift, that was way different than what I saw on the web.   Now I'm more confused.
      July 2, 2017 1:19 AM MDT

I asked that question a long time ago and the man at the supermarket deli gave me that explanation.  It may certainly not be correct.  It satisfied my curiosity at the time though.    I would imagine the main difference is adding the caraway seeds. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at July 2, 2017 12:13 PM MDT
      July 2, 2017 12:10 PM MDT

The packaging created by the Jewish owners of the bakeries.

If you want a serious answer, traditionally, a little bit of dill pickle juice is added to the dough to give it that slightly sour taste. 
      July 2, 2017 4:45 AM MDT