Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » "I thought it was empty". Could you gun folks explain to me, a non-gun person, how in the he** that could happen?

"I thought it was empty". Could you gun folks explain to me, a non-gun person, how in the he** that could happen?

An Indiana man has been charged with fatally shooting his 9-year-old daughter in the head while teaching his 2 sons about gun safety.

Posted - July 3, 2017

Responses

Because any stupid clown can own one.  That's all. It is just that simple.   Think Dick Cheney.

July 3, 2017 6:45 AM MDT

He needed someone to teach him about gun safety because he  did not follow the most basic of gun safety rules.

1. You ways treat a gun any gun as if it is loaded.
    2. You never point the gun at anything/one you do not intend to shoot.
    3. You don't even put you finger over the trigger if you do not intend to shoot. 
    4. Keep the safety button on when not shooting. (Still following rules 1-3) 

Of course there are more but those 4 will prevent virtually all accidents.

That is a awful situation. I would not want to even imagine being in. 
      July 3, 2017 7:30 AM MDT

Good answer.
      July 3, 2017 7:32 AM MDT

What always worries me about the American stupidity about the "right" to bear arms, is that there is no requirement in law to at least learn how to use a gun. Owning a dangerous weapon should never, ever, be a right, but if you are inclined to regard it as such, the very least you should do is make it compulsory to learn to use it properly, with refresher courses every few years. What 2 Cents said is certainly part of what they should be taught. This post was edited by HarryDemon at July 3, 2017 8:07 AM MDT
      July 3, 2017 8:06 AM MDT

Idiots and guns don't mix. Be glad he's not your neighbor.
      July 3, 2017 8:55 AM MDT

thats crazy, he wouldve been better off leaving the gun alone
      July 3, 2017 11:20 AM MDT

He forgot the #1 rule of gun safety---empty guns kill people.
      July 3, 2017 11:29 AM MDT