Discussion » Questions » Emotions » If you have regrets they must pile up over the years. What good has regret done for you?

If you have regrets they must pile up over the years. What good has regret done for you?

Posted - July 7, 2017

Responses

Regrets are how we learn from experience. It is just as important to realize where you erred, as it is to find the better way to achieve that goal.

< edit > IMHO attitude matter, but many people make the error of thinking it is all that matter. Not so, Knowledge of reality is even more important. < /edit > This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at July 9, 2017 3:13 AM MDT
      July 7, 2017 2:35 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply JakobA. Can you realize where you erred and take it as a learning experience rather than regretting that it occurred? :)
      July 9, 2017 3:14 AM MDT

Teaches you not to do that again.
      July 7, 2017 5:10 PM MDT

There is a Learning Curve to everything Sbf including life. I think when you make a mistake you should not regret it at all. Just accept it as a lesson learned and don't repeat it. Thank you for your reply! :)
      July 9, 2017 3:16 AM MDT

• A moment of carelessness, a lifetime of regret.
    A lifetime of carelessness, a moment of regret.

Regret can poison everything.
      July 7, 2017 9:43 PM MDT

Mistakes are learning tools whistle. Regret has no place in it. Just don't repeat it! Thank you for your reply! :)
      July 9, 2017 3:16 AM MDT

I have found that if you remove the should, would, and could in your life, regrets are very few and far between.
      July 8, 2017 12:51 AM MDT

Mistakes occur from which we learn. Hopefully we don't repeat them. I don't see the point of regret. Thank you for your reply Merlin! :)
      July 9, 2017 3:17 AM MDT

I agree Rosie.  Many mistakes turn into a learned lesson. It's those same learned lessons that I try to renegotiate a second time that become regretful.  Big winks and smiles.  That bites me in the butt of regret every time :)  
      July 9, 2017 3:40 AM MDT

I hear ya loud and clear m'dear. "Renegotiate a second time". Been there, done that. AARRGGHH!  Thank you for your additional comment!  I am virtually buttless so when anything bites me in the butt it hurts like he**! No cushion there to absorb it. So what gets bit is pretty much bone! :(
      July 9, 2017 3:43 AM MDT

Image result for pictures of walt disney cartoon characters
    You are a person of many surprises Rosie.
    I envisioned you as old and wise, like an owl.   I mean that in the kindest of ways.  I truly respect and admire my elders.  I am glad I am old, not sure how wise yet, but working at it.  Even picturing you as a child, I thought of you as being a straight "A" student, a person of great presence and a person who knew their role in life and did not veer from that path.  It's nice to know you may have hesitated, maybe once.  Big relieved smiles over here. :) PHEW!
      July 9, 2017 4:15 AM MDT

That m'dear is one of the nicest things anyone online has ever said to me. I shall cherish it! "You are a person of many surprises". That delights me.  As for respecting one's elders (I'm almost 80 which I think you know) years ago in my naive "youthiness" on an internet social site I got into a long discussion about respecting one's elders. I got hammered.  Bloodied. Black and blue. The consensus was unanimous. People EARN respect. It is not given. Now I was taught to respect my elders, people in authority and grownups in general as a child. As an adult I still respected my elders and those in authority, So it's nice to hear your saying that you respect your elders. I didn't always admire them however. You're probably/undoubtedly a nicer person than I am so that would explain it! Whatever I've learned in my years here on earth I've learned well...mostly. There are still a few glitches that need improving. As they say we are all works in progress and none of us is finished yet! :) I LOVED school. I skipped a few grades which was disadvantageous socially since I was a painfully shy child. But I guess I pretty much outgrew it. There are still vestiges of that very shy little girl within and sometimes I withdraw because I just don't like the environment. But I don't withdraw for long. I bounce  back pretty easily! :) This post was edited by RosieG at July 9, 2017 5:41 AM MDT
      July 9, 2017 4:34 AM MDT

it hasnt done any good
      July 8, 2017 4:19 PM MDT