Active Now

Malizz
Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Military » Any members here AARP members?

Any members here AARP members?

I received an invitation to join AARP.  If any Baggers are members, do you find your AARP membership worthwhile?  Must one be retire or is membership solely age based? 

Posted - July 8, 2017

Responses

Good question, thank you for posting it.

I'm not old enough to be offered membership, but a former co-worker and close friend retired from our office last year, and he had been receiving AARP's offers for almost a decade; he educated me on some very important facts about that organization.

I don't know how important this angle is to you, but AARP wields or tries to wield a certain amount of political power, and it's decidedly on the liberal slant.  Some of that is so subtle in its indoctrination literature that the average person might not perceive it immediately, but what it means is that joining AARP makes one a participant in its agenda.

Regardless of being a liberal or a non-liberal, it may be important to some people to know that they are joining a politically-motivated organization, even if that motivation is not its main focus.  I am NOT saying that it's wrong or bad for AARP to seek political benefits for its membership; I am only providing food for thought.

~

July 8, 2017 9:41 PM MDT

• I had not even considered AARP having political ties or motivations.  As I'm entirely apolitical I suspect their involvement would be of little concern unless they were shown to be involved with things I would consider immoral or socially harmful.  The information which came with the offered membership card advertised discounts at grocers and retailers.  This is attractive.  But before joining I'd want to be assure I was reasonable, perhaps legally, entitled to these discounts.  
      July 8, 2017 10:05 PM MDT

Being entirely apolitical and being interested primarily in the discounts they offer, you may want to look into them a little further while deciding whether or not to join.  As I stated above, being subtle is their angle in the beginning, baiting the hook with the right shiny object is one way to catch fish.

I believe that their discounts are 100% legal, and that there is nothing negative about taking full advantage of them.  I believe you are being reasonable.
    ~
      July 8, 2017 10:13 PM MDT

• Ah, but where to look?  This is the point of my query.   It is unlikely AARP would be very forth coming in their political involvement. 
    As to the discounts while they may well be, and most likely are entirely legal, my question is if I, an employed person, is in a position to benefit form them, or must one be fully retired? 
      July 8, 2017 10:19 PM MDT

I think you're doing the right thing by posting it here; you may get a lot of good first-hand knowledge from others.  For instance, Baba has already made one point that's very important: monthly dues.  I wonder if they offset the benefit of scattered discounts.

~
      July 8, 2017 10:22 PM MDT

• Wait now!  The information I received had a annual fee of $16.00.  I do not recall any continuous dues.
      July 8, 2017 10:29 PM MDT

Woah. I always associated AARP with being one of the good guys, looking out for the interests of seniors. I ran a search to see what you were talking about. There are lots of articles about their political influence. Here's one worth a read for anyone curious: https://www.wnd.com/2009/11/115617/
      July 8, 2017 10:23 PM MDT

Yes, you are correct about the Liberal Slant. However, in all fairness, any organization like this needs to lean that way in it's support of it's members who must appease the purse strings of the govt.  in order to get freebies  to live. There is another organization called MAC that is more conservative.  
      July 9, 2017 5:38 AM MDT

(its support)
    (its members)

No apostrophe. 

July 9, 2017 6:57 AM MDT

Randy d, thankyou for this very informative input. I will certainly take it into serious consideration next time I think of joining. This post was edited by Autumnleaves at July 11, 2017 11:10 PM MDT
      July 11, 2017 10:38 PM MDT

I declined to join because of monthly dues.
      July 8, 2017 10:15 PM MDT

• What dues?  The information I received had a annual membership fee of $16.00.
      July 8, 2017 10:30 PM MDT

ANNUAL (yearly) membership - not lifetime membership fee.  Their monthly magazine offers a number of excellent articles on aging and their discounts are great.  I used them for hotel costs when I traveled to New Mexico and I use them when I get new eyeglasses.  You only have to be 50 years of age to join - not 65 - and there is no employment prohibition. 
      July 9, 2017 8:07 AM MDT

Hi SpunkySenior~

I'm bouncing with joy!!  I did not know that!!  I turned 50 on May 19th this year!!  This means I can qualify!!  Yippeee!!  I'm going to get on this right away!! 

Image result for pictures of tigger pouncing
    Thank you SpunkySenior!!!  Happy! Bouncing Pouncing Meee!!!  Yippeee!!

July 9, 2017 4:05 PM MDT

You're very welcome.  Enjoy your membership.  I love their monthly magazine.
      July 9, 2017 4:26 PM MDT

You're awesome!!  I'll let you know tomorrow how it turns out! Thanks again! Love, Merlin
      July 9, 2017 5:36 PM MDT

No monthly dues Baba. Just an annual membership fee of $16.  
      July 9, 2017 12:22 AM MDT

There are no monthly dues, Baba.  You pay once for the year and that's it.
      July 9, 2017 8:10 AM MDT

If you do any traveling, the annual membership fee pays for itself very quickly through hotel discounts. They offer other discounts on travel as well as dining and entertainment. There's even more, which you can find on their website. 

And no, despite the name AARP, you do not have to be retired to enjoy these benefits. They have many members who are still employed. I think it's well worth trying.  

This post was edited by LyricalOne at July 9, 2017 8:08 AM MDT
      July 9, 2017 12:17 AM MDT

I joined for 1 year. All they did for me was to bust my mailbox with advertisements. I am still receiving offers from the even though I haven't been a member for over ten years.
      July 9, 2017 4:30 AM MDT

• That's why I never joined, I'll save my $16 and forgo any discounts. 
      July 9, 2017 4:40 AM MDT

I would like to add my two-bits.:)
    My parents use theirs all the time.  They love it.  They did not join for political reasons.  The older generation do deserve a break on movies and ice cream, etc.  They brought us into this world.  I think it is the least we can do.  
    If it is still around when I reach the age to join, or better yet, if I am still alive, I will definitely join.
      July 9, 2017 5:39 AM MDT

Don't know how old you are Merlin, but you only have to be 50 to join. 
      July 9, 2017 8:09 AM MDT

Related image
    YeeeAAAAA!!!  Thank you SpunkySenior!!  You've made my day!!!!  :) :)
      July 9, 2017 4:07 PM MDT