Active Now

Slartibartfast
Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Eye of the beholder. What you perceive to be true for you is. Correct? As YOU define ethics, do you lead an ethical life? How so?

Eye of the beholder. What you perceive to be true for you is. Correct? As YOU define ethics, do you lead an ethical life? How so?

Posted - July 11, 2017

Responses

Hi RosieG. I used to just do what was good in my own eyes. Sometimes that could be to the detriment of others. I now know that there are areas that I didn't see from the point of view of others. Now I try to do what is right but quite often fail. I know this isn't in the religion section so please forgive my use of the scriptures.

(Proverbs 3:1-8) My son, do not forget my teaching, And may your heart observe my commandments,  2 Because they will add many days And years of life and peace to you.  3 Do not let loyal love and faithfulness leave you. Tie them around your neck; Write them on the tablet of your heart;  4 Then you will find favor and good insight In the eyes of God and man.  5 Trust in Jehovah with all your heart, And do not rely on your own understanding.  6 In all your ways take notice of him, And he will make your paths straight.  7 Do not become wise in your own eyes. Fear Jehovah and turn away from bad.  8 It will be a healing to your body And refreshment for your bones.

(Romans 7:19-25) For I do not do the good that I wish, but the bad that I do not wish is what I practice. 20 If, then, I do what I do not wish, I am no longer the one carrying it out, but it is the sin dwelling in me. 21 I find, then, this law in my case: When I wish to do what is right, what is bad is present with me. 22 I really delight in the law of God according to the man I am within, 23 but I see in my body another law warring against the law of my mind and leading me captive to sin’s law that is in my body. 24 Miserable man that I am! Who will rescue me from the body undergoing this death? 25 Thanks to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So, then, with my mind I myself am a slave to God’s law, but with my flesh to sin’s law.

(Philippians 2:3, 4) Do nothing out of contentiousness or out of egotism, but with humility consider others superior to you, 4 as you look out not only for your own interests, but also for the interests of others.

(Matthew 7:12) “All things, therefore, that you want men to do to you, you also must do to them. This, in fact, is what the Law and the Prophets mean.
      July 11, 2017 6:09 AM MDT

You NEVER have to apologize for any answer you ever give me tex. I'm always happy to see you here and always learn something from your contributions. I personally don't care at all if others are unhappy with it. That is their problem, not yours or mine. They can just look the other way. I struggle with this all the time. I THINK I do the right thing, the ethical thing but how do we ever really know? I think it's human nature to place our motives/intentions on a pedestal and exempt them from questioning but everything should be questioned just because it's the right thing to do. Who was it who  said "an unexamined life is not worth living"? I believe that. You should not go through life oblivious to how you affect others. You can never know for sure the impact you have on someone. It's not easy being human is it? Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Tuesday! :)
      July 11, 2017 6:28 AM MDT

Thank you for that RosieG. Very kind of you. Nice to hear a kind word.

Thinking of you:
    (Proverbs 15:23) A man rejoices in giving the right answer, And a word spoken at the right time—how good it is!
    (Proverbs 25:11) Like apples of gold in silver carvings Is a word spoken at the right time.
      July 11, 2017 7:00 AM MDT

ive always been ethical
      July 11, 2017 2:22 PM MDT