Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Communication » Gotta have the last word? Sometimes that's what does you in/trips you up/cooks your goose. Why is last wording it so appealing?

Gotta have the last word? Sometimes that's what does you in/trips you up/cooks your goose. Why is last wording it so appealing?

Posted - July 11, 2017

Responses

Any word that leaves liar's lips is a lying lie.

Anything.  Any utterance.  It's FAKE.   Like his FAKE NEWS.   Oh wait.  That is actually the real news.

July 11, 2017 8:39 AM MDT

I think you showed us this graphic on another thread m'dear. I liked it then and I like it now! Thank you for the spot-on share Shar! :)
      July 12, 2017 4:57 AM MDT
  • Bez

I like that phrase "cook one's goose". I've always liked that phrase since I first heard it when I was about 8. It's because I like the sound of the word "goose". Lol :)
      July 11, 2017 8:55 AM MDT

Abuse
    Caboose
    Deuce
    Excuse
    Juice
    Loose
    Moose
    Noose
    Papoose
    Puce
    Truce
    Youse
    Zeus

You're welcome Bez! Thank you for your reply.
      July 12, 2017 5:02 AM MDT

I like the word "moose" as well, Rosie, although that's for other reasons not connected with "goose". Happy Thursday! :)
      August 24, 2017 1:41 AM MDT

I just love words Bez. I play with them all the time.  I make some up  when I feel like it and I also spell words my way when it suits me. I like the look of stoopid rather stupid for example. The purpose of language is to communicate. As long as we are able to do that it really makes no difference how a word is spelled. Now I was an English major and I think language is alive and well and we should use it respectfully but also playfully.  A word I have always enjoyed is LINOLEUM! Go figger! I just like the way it rolls off the tongue. It has limited use of course. It's not easy finding a place for it in normal conversation. I just did though! Thank you for your reply. Ever meet up with a loose goose or a moose? I'm a Foodie so I love chocolate mousse! :) See how my mind bounces around? Here and there and everywhere...sometimes all it once!
      August 24, 2017 2:12 AM MDT

I did see one or two loose gooses while on a daytrip in the 1970s, but I've never seen a loose moose. We don't lhave loose mooses where I live. Happy Wednesday, Rosie. :)
      November 8, 2017 3:10 PM MST

Hi there kiddo!  Did you ever see the TV series "Northern Exposure". A loose moose meandering down the street started off every episode! Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday.  I haven't chatted with you since August so I hope things are going swell for you and yours Bez! :)
      November 9, 2017 2:39 AM MST

I rarely use this site these days, Rosie. I only popped in this week to send birthday messages to friends. I've never heard of "Northern Exposure". Happy Saturday! :)
      November 11, 2017 11:37 AM MST

Nice to see you! Happy Sunday Bez and happy trails to you! :)
      November 12, 2017 4:15 AM MST

Having the last word allows you to keep the illusion that you "won" the argument, even when you shove your foot firmly in your mouth with that last word.
      July 11, 2017 9:01 AM MDT

Agree! Thank you for your reply Sbf. Some folks don't know how to quit winners! Why I do not know!  :)
      July 12, 2017 5:02 AM MDT

Personally, I don't need to have the "last word"---Once I have stated something that I consider to be dispositive of the situation from my point of view, I have done what I intended to do---and I have come to that position slowly after some years on these Q & A sites.

But if someone is advocating something that I know to be "dangerous" or significantly misleading in their posts, I will continue to engage in dialogue related to that post. This post was edited by tom jackson at July 12, 2017 5:06 AM MDT
      July 11, 2017 9:06 AM MDT

Thank you for your thoughtful reply tom and Happy Wednesday! :)
      July 12, 2017 5:06 AM MDT

cause people seem to like the last word
      July 11, 2017 1:28 PM MDT