Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Are you emotionally attached to inanimate objects? Foods/electronics/vehicles et al? D'ya think ya got a YOOOGE problem there? Why?

Are you emotionally attached to inanimate objects? Foods/electronics/vehicles et al? D'ya think ya got a YOOOGE problem there? Why?

Posted - July 12, 2017

Responses

I am a very old-fashioned girl.  I am a one machine woman.  I am attached to my car.  And it is not for any reason other than it gets me where I need to go.  But I have to have it.  I'm in Phoenix.  I have to have a car.

HAVE TO. HAVE TO   LOL
      July 12, 2017 12:43 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply Shar and Happy Thursday!  I expect things to work as they should. When they don't I do get ticked off! Computer repair, auto repair, appliance repair, air conditioning repair , plumbing repair, et al. The longer I'm inconvenienced the more ticked off I get. Otherwise I just take all of it for granted. :)
      July 13, 2017 7:52 AM MDT

Oh that stuff?

Me too.  I hate it when equipment fails.

Happy Thursday! 
      July 13, 2017 8:11 AM MDT

I expected you would feel that way too m'dear!  Thank you Shar!  :)
      July 13, 2017 8:14 AM MDT

I am not even emotionally attached to people...much less objects.
      July 12, 2017 12:52 PM MDT

The emotional attachment I "feel" for things only kicks in when they need repair/are broken/don't work. That's when emotion kicks in and I get aggravated/frustrated/inconvenienced./ticked off/pi**ed/angry/upset! When everything is fixed I stop thinking about it altogether! Thank you for your reply Ele and Happy Thursday! :)
      July 13, 2017 7:54 AM MDT

not at all
      July 12, 2017 2:36 PM MDT

I like things.... why not.. I tend to choose what I buy carefully and if I have chosen well then it lasts and is with me for many, many years....  I was fond of my first car...me and that little car had a lot of adventures.. I didn't want another car.. I wouldn't say I was strongly emotionally connected but I was definitely fond of it.. I have ornaments I am fond of... but I think its more the memories than the object itself.
      July 12, 2017 3:29 PM MDT

I am attached to things given to me by people I love/loved. Irreplaceable. Otherwise the only attachment I feel to other things is aggravation if they don't work and need fixing! Thank you for your reply Addb and Happy Thursday to thee. For me  personally one TV is as good as another. One computer, one car, one whatever. As long as it works as it should it's all good. Otherwise? Not good. :)
      July 13, 2017 7:57 AM MDT

I get emotionally attached to my computers and car and little sentimental gifts, you know like those useless nic nacs that just collect dust but I can't bear to part with them.
      July 12, 2017 8:57 PM MDT

I'm attached to the things given to me by loved ones Patch. Otherwise al things are interchangeable! Cars, TV's, computers, appliances. It's when they don't work as they are supposed to that I get emotionally invested. Aggravated! Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday! :) 
      July 13, 2017 7:59 AM MDT

My fidget spinner because it spins sooooooooooooo fast.
      July 13, 2017 8:13 AM MDT

What is that Zack? I passed by a display of them at the store yesterday but I was in a rush and didn't have time to stop and examine it.  You fidget a lot so it calms you down or you're too calm and it makes you crazy? Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday! :)
      July 13, 2017 8:16 AM MDT

It amuses me to some degree and does have a bit of a calming effect.
      July 13, 2017 8:18 AM MDT

So it is a pacifier like a teething ring or cigarette? If it has a calming effect you can get without drugs or booze that's definitely a good alternative.  Thanks Zack!
      July 13, 2017 8:34 AM MDT

I used to be a bit of a hoarder in this sense, but I'm definitely not anymore. Now I'm the kind of person if I don't use it or think about it in a month I throw it out! I've gone from one extreme to the other, which is also not ideal in some cases! But I still have some sentimental items, like love letters. ;)
      July 13, 2017 7:26 PM MDT

Maybe instead of throwing it out you could take it to Good Will or the Salvation Army and they could use it. I know exactly what you mean. It's so easy to collect things you really never needed or used. I have boxes of things like that in the garage collected over many years. So does Jim. He says one day we'll have a garage sale. Maybe someone else can use it . Thank you for your reply mk!   :)
      July 14, 2017 4:14 AM MDT

I've an assortment of items - some functional, some purely "ornamental" - which I keep for their strong personal associations rather than any intrinsic value or use of the objects themselves.
      July 29, 2017 4:07 PM MDT

• I am attached to my Russian Makorov pistol. It is compact and is good for close range self-defense. 
      August 17, 2017 6:15 PM MDT